Black screen when boot from liveUSB to install Linux Mint 16

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xiaobing997

Black screen when boot from liveUSB to install Linux Mint 16

Post by xiaobing997 »

I can boot to GRUB option using my liveUSB with Linux Mint 16.
However, I just got a black screen and cannot get into the installation option after I choose "Start Linux Mint" or "Start Linux Mint with Compatible Mode".
But I can hear a sound from my laptop (I guess it's the start up sound from Linux Mint)
Even if I edit the boot option, adding by "nomodeset", "nvidia.modeset=0", "nouveau.modeset=0" or "noacpi noapic nomodeset", etc. or delete the "quiet splash", I still got a black screen and cannot go to the installation process but I can still toggle Caps Lock and Num Lock

When I added "nomodeset" to command, I can see a Splash Screen with linux mint. But it will go to black screen afterward and i cannot toggle the caps lock and num lock.

I had tried a hundred times to edit and edit the grub command and got a black screen ... :x

ISO: linuxmint-16-cinnamon-dvd-64bit.iso
Current OS: Windows 7
Laptop: Lenovo IdeaPad V360
CPU: Intel i3 370M (2.4G)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 305M (1G vram)

Thank you :(
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DopTone

Re: Black screen when boot from liveUSB to install Linux Min

Post by DopTone »

First off, did you run de checksum to verify the integrity of the image? Are you booting from dvd or usb? Maybe you should try to download the image again, or try the 32-bit version.
xiaobing997

Post by xiaobing997 »

DopTone wrote:First off, did you run de checksum to verify the integrity of the image? Are you booting from dvd or usb? Maybe you should try to download the image again, or try the 32-bit version.
I had tried 32-bit version as well. The problem is still the same
And the MD5 of my downloaded images are matched to the web site shown.
I am booting from USB since my laptop doesn't have a dvd-drive

I have no idea why I can't install Linux Mint :(
xiaobing997

Post by xiaobing997 »

I tested my usb drive can be booted and run linux mint successfully in another computer :?
DopTone

Post by DopTone »

And in your BIOS the boot settings are correct, I mean, USB is the first device where your laptop checks for a bootable partition?
xiaobing997

Post by xiaobing997 »

DopTone wrote:And in your BIOS the boot settings are correct, I mean, USB is the first device where your laptop checks for a bootable partition?
Yes, USB is the first boot device in BIOS
xiaobing997

Post by xiaobing997 »

anyone help me? :(
xiaobing997

Post by xiaobing997 »

could anyone help me :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
mrexspectator

Post by mrexspectator »

Have the same problem. I'm using MultiSystem to create a bootable USB.
Legacy mode (UEFI disabled) on an Acer Asire S7.

Heard the welcome tune, but the screen is black :|
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps »

Since you know how to edit the kernel options in the boot config file, then go into there and remove "quiet" from the kernel boot line.

At least this way, you will get progress messages to the screen and can see what it was last doing when it stops.

Also, do not be surprised if it stops a few times. Mine stops several times before getting the mint logo and then the login screen.

Return to “Installation & Boot”