Mint 16 Suspends On Laptop Lid Close Despite Settings

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Calcipher

Mint 16 Suspends On Laptop Lid Close Despite Settings

Post by Calcipher »

Hello all. I'm running Mint 16x64 and, no matter what I do, I can't seem to keep my machine from suspending when I close the lid. I've change the settings in system-settings and in gnome-tweak-tool. I've also changed the setting in dconf. The biggest problem is that it will suspend while the system is shutting down (I often close the lid while the system shuts down).

Anyone have any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Mint 16 Suspends On Laptop Lid Close Despite Settings

Post by roblm »

You can try this method.

To prevent suspending when running on battery power, type this command in the Terminal:
gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power lid-close-battery-action blank

To prevent suspending when running on AC power, type this command:
gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power lid-close-ac-action blank

To reverse the settings type these commands:
gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power lid-close-battery-action 'suspend'
gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power lid-close-ac-action 'suspend'

From what I've read, some laptops can overheat if they are left running using these settings with the lid closed.
Calcipher

Post by Calcipher »

Thanks for those commands, but it would seem that whatever is causing me to always suspend did not honor them.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

Try adding apostrophes around the word blank:
gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power lid-close-battery-action 'blank'
gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power lid-close-ac-action 'blank'

If that fails then run this command:
gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power active 'true'
and then run the other two commands again.

If that fails then run these commands:
gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power lid-close-battery-action 'nothing'
gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power lid-close-ac-action 'nothing'

If that fails then there may be some bugs in Mint 16 RC, so wait until the Mint 16 final release.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

Here's one more procedure you can try, which is directly editing a configuration file. Type this command in the Terminal to open the file:
gksudo gedit /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power.gschema.xml

In the Menu go to Search > Find, and in the window type: key name="lid-close-battery-action"
In the opened file just below this line change the word 'suspend' to 'blank'.

Just below this will be the section: key name="lid-close-ac-action"
Repeat the word change and save the file.
bdelima

Post by bdelima »

I am hitting the same problem. Just updated to Mint 16 and no matter what I do, I can't get the laptop to not suspend on lid close. I've tried everything outlined in this thread.
sswam

Post by sswam »

I found the solution on askubuntu here:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/360615/u ... laptop-lid

in short, edit /etc/systemd/logind.conf and add the line:

Code: Select all

HandleLidSwitch=ignore
Then execute the following, or simply reboot:

Code: Select all

sudo restart systemd-logind

Return to “Software & Applications”