How to install and download intel drivers on Linux Mint16

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
XeusNightSlash

How to install and download intel drivers on Linux Mint16

Post by XeusNightSlash »

I currently have a Toshiba Satellite L500 I got in Early March 2010 and i'm currently wondering where I can download and install Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Drivers but when I go on to the intel website and click on the driver link it just brings me to the Windows Vista And Windows 7 download page http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/cs-010512.html. I've looked up how to get the driver for Mint 16 but I can only find guides for Ubuntu 13.04 and Mint 15. If any one can send me a guide to installing this driver on Mint 16 or tell me in the fourms I will be very pleased.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
djalf

Re: How to install and download intel drivers on Linux Mint1

Post by djalf »

I think that the Mint has the drivers built in for Intel video cards, but if you wanna try the Intel ones, check it here:
https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads
loganj

Post by loganj »

yes it has some sort of drivers but its not a complete set of drivers. or at least not how it use to install with Intel(R) Graphics Installer 1.0.2 for Linux. why? well cause the game i want to play with wine its full of transparent polygons.
so i'm sure something is missing. i don't know what. and i have no clue where to get it.
the installer won't work with mint 16/ubuntu 13.10.
also on clean install of mint 16 x64 i don't have a gl library for i386.POL complains about it every time i start it. i'm not sure how i've manage to install it on previous attempt before i manage to crush entire linux.
so is there any way to install the intel video drivers for linux?. at least the ones that use to be in mint 15 (since it seems mesa/kernel is close to that version)
Hitchhiker

Post by Hitchhiker »

Intel donates their drivers to open source. They are usually included with the installation with Linux.

Here are the Intel open source downloads.

https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads

Some older information for the earlier version.

http://www.webupd8.org/2013/03/intel-re ... ivers.html

HOW TO USE THE INTEL LINUX GRAPHICS DRIVERS REPOSITORY IN UBUNTU-BASED LINUX DISTRIBUTIONS (LINUX MINT, ETC.)

http://www.webupd8.org/2013/04/how-to-u ... ivers.html

OFFICIAL INTEL LINUX GRAPHICS INSTALLER AVAILABLE FOR UBUNTU 13.04

http://www.webupd8.org/2013/05/intel-li ... aller.html
Hitchhiker

Post by Hitchhiker »

It looks like there are some dependencies required that are missing for Ubuntu 13.10 / Mint 16.
loganj

Post by loganj »

it seems that linux mint has serious problems with intel hd video cards (with or without intel 1.0.3). tested with ubuntu 13.10 and everything works like a charm even with default drivers. of course the test was done after i've updated ubuntu.

don't know why mint has so much problems but im glad that i can install cinnamon on ubuntu.
WoundedLilies

Post by WoundedLilies »

Intel Graphics Installer for Ubuntu 13.10, 64-bit has been released at 13 Jan 2014.
This installer, however, says "distribution not supported" and does not work on Linux Mint 16.
Can't we even test it?
loganj

Post by loganj »

of course it works
sudo gedit /etc/lsb-release

and change it to this
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=13.10
DISTRIB_CODENAME=saucy
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 13.10"

don't close gedit

save it
run the installer again. when installer is done go back in gedit and undo all changes. save it again. and now u can reboot the computer.
OlegKuts

Post by OlegKuts »

loganj wrote:of course it works

and change it to this
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=13.10
DISTRIB_CODENAME=saucy

don't close gedit

save it
run the installer again. when installer is done go back in gedit and undo all changes. save it again. and now u can reboot the computer.
Any one tried this for Mint 17.1 and Graphics Installer 1.0.7 for Ubuntu* 14.04, 64-bit?
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Re: How to install and download intel drivers on Linux M

Post by JeremyB »

OlegKuts wrote:
loganj wrote:of course it works

and change it to this
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=13.10
DISTRIB_CODENAME=saucy

don't close gedit

save it
Any one tried this for Mint 17.1 and Graphics Installer 1.0.7 for Ubuntu* 14.04, 64-bit?
It is broken even for Ubuntu 14.04 the last I knew
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

@OlegKuts: if you need a new Intel driver in Mint 17.x, you can simply install the 3.19 kernel from Update Manager (3.19 was recently added). That will probably give you a newer Intel driver as well.

However: why do you think that you need a newer Intel driver in the first place?
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Return to “Hardware Support”