Shared Files/Networking

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
proxima_centauri

Shared Files/Networking

Post by proxima_centauri »

Hello All,

I suggested at my work that we should create some sort of network or server to share files between 8-10 computers that employee's work on. Naturally since I suggested it they gave it to me as a pet project because I'm the youngest and most technologically advanced member on the team lol. I have no experience with this, Initially I thought I might be able to set up an FTP server in XP, but it's required that there be multiple shared folders, some requiring different user names and passwords for more sensitive data. As I understand (which is little) all I can do now is access a folder on my computer through FTP and I can only password protect it with my own WinXP user name and password.

Does anybody know a relatively simple way to achieve sharing multiple folders and files with different passwords between computers? (i.e. user name and passwords that can be created, not default XP login ones) :?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
miket

Re: Shared Files/Networking

Post by miket »

Hi !

Take a look at my posting here : http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 644#p78658
This will take you through setting up a Samba server under Linux Mint or any other Linux which will
do what you are looking for.

Mike.
proxima_centauri wrote:Hello All,

I suggested at my work that we should create some sort of network or server to share files between 8-10 computers that employee's work on. Naturally since I suggested it they gave it to me as a pet project because I'm the youngest and most technologically advanced member on the team lol. I have no experience with this, Initially I thought I might be able to set up an FTP server in XP, but it's required that there be multiple shared folders, some requiring different user names and passwords for more sensitive data. As I understand (which is little) all I can do now is access a folder on my computer through FTP and I can only password protect it with my own WinXP user name and password.

Does anybody know a relatively simple way to achieve sharing multiple folders and files with different passwords between computers? (i.e. user name and passwords that can be created, not default XP login ones) :?
proxima_centauri

Thanks for the reply, but unfortunately I don't believe the staff is ready to make the move to Linux. All the computers at work are running XP, so I'm looking for something windows-wise, since I'm only here for the summer and won't be able to troubleshoot when I'm gone. Still option to suggestions but I will look into this nonetheless, thanks for the link, maybe if I can get it working I can sell it to them.
miket

Post by miket »

Hi !
proxima_centauri wrote:Thanks for the reply, but unfortunately I don't believe the staff is ready to make the move to Linux. All the computers at work are running XP, so I'm looking for something windows-wise, since I'm only here for the summer and won't be able to troubleshoot when I'm gone. Still option to suggestions but I will look into this nonetheless, thanks for the link, maybe if I can get it working I can sell it to them.
I'm a tad confused then ?
If you are looking for a windows solution why are you asking for solutions on a Linux Forum ???

I suggest you just setup a few simple shares from one of the XP machines to suite their needs with username/password attributes.

Mike.
proxima_centauri

AvanceIT wrote: If you are looking for a windows solution why are you asking for solutions on a Linux Forum ???

Mike.
It's the only forum I hang out in :lol:
Thought it would be alright in the open chat.
proxima_centauri

AvanceIT wrote: I suggest you just setup a few simple shares from one of the XP machines to suite their needs with username/password attributes.

Mike.
Thats what I'm trying to do, not sure how to go about it. :o
miket

Post by miket »

Hello again !
Thats what I'm trying to do, not sure how to go about it. :o
Ok, first you need to choose from which XP PC you are going to share the folders from.
One you've done this create an account on that machine for each user that will need to connect to it.

Next create the folders that you want to share to the other users.
Now RIGHT click on each of these folders and select the sharing Tab.
From here you can enable sharing for the folder.

Once you've set all the folders to be shared you should be able to go to each users PC and connect to the share using
their account details that you setup above.

Have fun !

Return to “Open Chat”