C++ newbie question in Mint

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
spas87

C++ newbie question in Mint

Post by spas87 »

When make some simple programs in c++ and compile them after that in .exe expresion they work only in terminal by typing ./example.exe, if i try to open them when browsing files it wont work what expression to give them to work by double clicking on them thanks in advance for the help
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: C++ newbie question in Mint

Post by Husse »

exe files are Windows
Do you ask about the file extension?
None in Linux most (but not all) files have no extension
Husse

Post by Husse »

permissions of your file are set to 'rwx
Why did I forget that
Funny avatar ed@Mint :)
spas87

Post by spas87 »

ed@Mint wrote:Why do you give your executables and exe extension ?
That wont make them work in windows anyway..
In Linux, executables have usually no extension, so if you have for example a source file named 'foo.cpp', just name the binary 'foo'

But an .exe extension should not prevent the file to be executed... Just make sure that the permissions of your file are set to 'rwx' i.e. make them executable :wink:
Because didn't know what to put they work in console when i type ./exaple.exe thats what I'm asking whit what extension to make them to work by double clicking on them in Linux Mint i know that wont work in windows (can easily do that by compiling example.cpp files in windows command prompt :-) )
what a rwx mean cant make them run by double clicking from properties i have selected allow files to be executed as programs but still nothing working only by ./fileName in console

ops got that i dont need extension still not opening them (except in console whit ./filename)
spas87

Post by spas87 »

probably changing permissions in console i suppose any help newbie in command line entries any example please :-)thanks for the tips :-)
spas87

Post by spas87 »

yes i know that there is no point for now but want to know hot to make it and thanks a lot for the help and i know that terminal i needed but im still learning command lines in it is one of the things which im looking now but the list is big :-)
1.c++
2.learning to use and adjust linux
3(x)html, mysql, php
4.playing with apache server
5. collage work and social life and I'm a bit tight on time for all that :-)

thanks again for the help will try the suggestions now
rbanavara

Post by rbanavara »

1. C++ : long time back when I read about C/C++ on linux, it used to create a file called a.out by default when compiled (which is the equivalent of .exe file in DOS world). This could then be executed by ./a.out (by default it had execute permission I beleive). This all from command prompt.

Tried to simulate clicking the a.out from file browser (nautilus), but I could not compile my Hello World prograam (failed with: test.c:1:19: error: stdio.h: No such file or directory) :? So I tried clicking ls command from bin directory and sure nothing happens if double clicked in file browser for a command that terminal oriented.

If it helps, you may try out the IDE like anjuta (not sure if the spelling is correct!) might be good for you. Its a GUI frontend like turboC / borland C on windows.

2. Learning Linux : There should be some tutorial on the net that could help you. But these days, you can manage 75% of your tasks with GUI.

on html / Java / php / mySQL probably you just have to start working with it...!
rbanavara

Post by rbanavara »

What I beleive is CLI is more for geeks & GUI is for the rest (rather could include geeks as well!). As per the quote in "Brief History of Time", an equation scares off half of your readers. and probably so does CLI (and for this, I like the apple's approach). If spas87 is interested in C++ Programming, he just be able to do that. Probably as he gets used to linux, he can venture in to CLI.

It all depends on what spas87 is interested in... understanding linux & programming C++ or just programming C++ on linux.
spas87

Post by spas87 »

rbanavara wrote:What I beleive is CLI is more for geeks & GUI is for the rest (rather could include geeks as well!). As per the quote in "Brief History of Time", an equation scares off half of your readers. and probably so does CLI (and for this, I like the apple's approach). If spas87 is interested in C++ Programming, he just be able to do that. Probably as he gets used to linux, he can venture in to CLI.

It all depends on what spas87 is interested in... understanding linux & programming C++ or just programming C++ on linux.
Well understanding linux & programming C++ but any way I don't need GUI yet I just started and the programs which I write are all executed in console the only thing that I have problem is that cant open a file on double click but actualy I dont need that because I execute them in console by ./and_the_name_of_my_file
and it is not a effort because I'm in that directory anyway to compile the programs which I'm testing probably I will use GUI later on but I don't think I need it for now and I use Microsoft Visual Basic a bit a at Collage anyway but want to learn C++.

Return to “Software & Applications”