What made you switch to Linux Mint?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
linux_rules
Level 4
Level 4

Re: What made you switch to Linux Mint?

Post by linux_rules »

I migrated from Xubuntu 12.04 coz of the frequent crashes that Xubuntu was giving me.

Also I wanted a DE which just slightly better looking than XFCE so i am using Mate.

One thing that is making me a little worried is the fact that (I heard and read) Mint doesnt include the Kernel updates by default. So I was wondering isnt that a security concern ?

Other than that two words for Mint : "Simply Awesome".
Tz2001

Post by Tz2001 »

I switched from Windows 8 after frustrations with speed and general annoyance by the updated interface. I installed LM in March last year and have booted into windows around 10 times since, mostly to retrieve things like emails stored in outlook which are otherwise inaccessible. To be honest if I hadn't upgraded from Windows 7 to 8 I'd probably still be on windows now.

Rather than immediately go back to Windows 7 (I still have the CD and license so I can if I want to) I thought I'd give desktop Linux another shot. I've tried it various times over the last 15 years and always found it a bit lacking. I have painful memories of compiling and configuring kernels, editing xorg.conf through nano because X wouldn't run, not being able to write to NTFS partitions so you had to have a FAT32 parition to swap files between windows and linux on the same machine, getting all 5 buttons on my mouse to be recognised, and general other obstacles that just made it hard to use. I even tried Gentoo once and remember waiting overnight for KDE to compile.

I did run Fedora Core 2 (whenever that was new) in a dual boot with windows for several months but found the software for anything less trivial than simple web browsing or listening to music lacking. I needed to do a fair amount of Office work and the office suites then just didn't cut it for what I needed. I was also quite a heavy gamer back then and constantly rebooting was a pain (This is still the only reason I'd go back to Windows but hopefully I can get my VGA passthrough working and I'll be in OS heaven! ).

When I made this switch this time I googled best distro and LM had high recommendations. I wasn't really sure whether to go with LM or Ubuntu (although I'd have probably picked Kubuntu as being familiar with Linux past I knew a lot came down to the DE in use and KDE sounded a better fit for me than Unity or Gnome in its current form). I tried the Live CD for LM KDE and here I am :)
passerby

Post by passerby »

What made me switch to Mint? Unity :lol:
But what made me switch to Linux was one BSoD too many :evil:
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

linux_rules wrote:I migrated from Xubuntu 12.04 coz of the frequent crashes that Xubuntu was giving me.

Also I wanted a DE which just slightly better looking than XFCE so i am using Mate.

One thing that is making me a little worried is the fact that (I heard and read) Mint doesnt include the Kernel updates by default. So I was wondering isnt that a security concern ?

Other than that two words for Mint : "Simply Awesome".
Open up Synaptic and update what you want. ;) The levels system can do the same thing but kernel updates were level 5 probably so you must enable them. But I prefer Synaptic way of kernel updating. :)
linux_rules
Level 4
Level 4

Post by linux_rules »

RacerBG wrote: Open up Synaptic and update what you want. ;) The levels system can do the same thing but kernel updates were level 5 probably so you must enable them. But I prefer Synaptic way of kernel updating. :)
Okay but I want to know how important is kernel updating. I am casual desktop user but I want a secure system and thats one of the reasons I use Linux.

I have used many distros in the past and I have seen different update policies.

For example Ubuntu offers kernel updates on regular basis but openSUSE doesnt push kernel updates that frequently.

So how important is updating the kernel ?
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

linux_rules wrote:
Not terribly important, unless is provides a specific fix or extra functionality that you need.

My desktop uses a 3.8x kernel, while my laptop uses a 3.2x kernel.
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

MartyMint wrote:
linux_rules wrote:
Not terribly important, unless is provides a specific fix or extra functionality that you need.

My desktop uses a 3.8x kernel, while my laptop uses a 3.2x kernel.
It depends from your needs. If you have brand new laptop or hardware you will prefer the latest kernels. It really doesn't matter that much but stick to the 3.x.xx kernels. Use 2.x.xx only if you have extremely old hardware.
Dngrsone
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dngrsone »

I had to upgrade to the 3.10.0 kernel in order to use my wifi. YMMV
Try politeness; people will like you for it.
Linee

Post by Linee »

Thanks again for all the responses.

Okay, so I am quite a nag. Don't mean to be but that's just how it is (sometimes). Leaving Windows has been wonderful and yet are all of these other reasons why I am using Mint.

In Ubuntu the cursors could not be changed. Well actually they could, however, the cursor would change only in Firefox and some other applications and then return to the itsy-bitsy cursor on the desktop.

Cinnamon install screwed up my Ubuntu. On the other hand kde plasma desktop worked great (which is why I am now doing what I am doing).

Unity.

ElementaryOS (or elementaryOS) is an excellent Linux distro, however it refused to recognize my Canon Pixma scanner even after I downloaded the software from the sites that would supposedly get it to work.

Cairo dock crashes.

Zorin... ...Well, okay. I must admit, didn't use it long enough to find fault other than it just didn't inspire me like Ubuntu, elementaryOS, or Mint.

Things I like about LM?

I've got my transparency back and how I want it. I've got my desktop switcher, weather, calendar, contacts, themes, icons, Lancelot launcher for kde, great wallpapers, screensavers, and it's easy!

Sorry folks, I am not trying to sound like a commercial here.

The one thing about the KDE version that's bugging me though is every now and then it refuses to shut down, just hangs in a black screen with the cursor in the middle... but then again, Windows hangs and does even worse stuff on my system all the time. Other than that, things are just fine. Got some satisfaction at last!

I think what I appreciate most about all Linux distros is that they are truly meant to enhance the end user experience. I spent so many years double-clicking around in Windows that I became lazy about computing. No need to figure things out in Windows--it does it all for you (and not all that great most of the time). Seems all well and good for some users but for me coming over to Linux cured the blah.
Slash_Earth
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Slash_Earth »

Windows 7 - bloat.
Office 2010 - dam ribbons and eliminaiton of keyboard shortcuts - what in the hell were they thinking...

The safety and security of Linux Mint. For example, one system to patch everything. This makes it very easy for people to keep their system patched.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

RacerBG wrote:If you have brand new laptop or hardware you will prefer the latest kernels.

Not necessarily.

My newer HP laptop chokes on recent kernels (newer Xorg breaks ATI drivers).
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

i first started [not long ago] when i was having problems, and a friend [m$ software engineer] suggested ubuntu,but not being a teckki , i could not get it to work, tried several other builds with more or less the same problem, then found Mint and it worked, my lappy was also suffering M$ fever so i saved my files to disc and did a mint 9 clean install again it all worked,since then i have loaded various mint builds on different computers for myself and others, i am currently using a mix on my machines depending on the spec,
i have 32 bit on 3 machines 2 with mate 1 with xfce and 2 with 64 bit cinnamon , not ever been interested in gaming i have not misses M$ at all

wizard
Condorman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Condorman »

I switched to Linux Mint (and stayed) simply because I feel it's the best. I've distro hopped for many years, and found a lot of distros I truly love and still dual/triple boot. But as a main OS I don't feel anyone is even attempting to offer what Mint does by default; consider the end user experience. Everything in Mint feels to me to be created to make Linux and the desktop PC easy and fun to use. Many claim this but in reality come nowhere near. I haven't used any OS, including Windows, that puts this together so well.

So I'm going nowhere. ;)
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

Linee wrote:...why did you choose Linux Mint, the edition you are using--Mate, Cinnamon, Xfce, KDE--and what about it might get former Windows users to give up their os for Linux?
I became interested in Linux as an alternative to Windows. I was getting increasingly tired of a number of win characteristics... malware vulnerablility, anti-malware software, internet security software, misbehaved software (crippleware, nagware, obsoleteware, ransomware), licensing policies, bad and constantly worsening performance, bad and worsening privacy concerns,etc.

I did some research and chose Fedora as my first Linux distro. After a few days, I had difficulty tolerating the lack of codecs and the difficulty of installing them (for a novice)... I did some more research and chose Linux Mint (LM7 - Gloria) as my second Linux distro... that was in the summer of 2009... and I have been hooked ever since... initially I dualbooted Mint and WinXP on a netbook that I got cheap (~$350) just to experiment with. I ran Gloria until Isadora (LM9) came out and then switched to it... both were the Gnome version. In the spring of 2011, I went Mint on a full time basis at home and a few months later, did the same at the office... First running Mint 9 and then in the summer of 2012, converted both home and office to LM13. I use the Cinnamon edition because I like the features and customizability of the environment and my hardware seems to run Cinnamon without any problems... If I had problems running Cinnamon, I'd probably use the Mate version.

The thing that initially attracted me to and has subsequently kept me with Linux Mint is the intuitive Mint Menu based interface. A complete Mint novice migrating from Windows can sit down in front of a Mint desktop and immediately use the system for basic tasks after about 5 minutes of familiarization... I am also fond of Mint Update.
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
XpRefugee

Post by XpRefugee »

REFUGEEEEEEEEES!
I am suprised I haven't been running linux before this year.
My first computer 1985 ish
IBM 5150 Intel 8088 4.77 MHz, Intel 8087 co-processor, 16kB RAM, CGA WITH the 10 MB hard drive,
I had a hard drive in my computer... Don't be a hater :lol:
1989 ish Got the STONED! virus from an infected floppy, the virus while pretty innocuous to the computers of the era but, was bigger than my 16k of memory could handle, before memory manager and would not boot to MS-DOS so I could run the "Windows Enviroment" .
I tried to fix it ( I went to college 8) ) with No money (I went to college :( ) a screwdriver and a speaker magnet, did not go well, I did finally get it back working.
I learned a ton of stuff trying to make that 8088 run as fast as it could.
Retired it for a ZEOS-486!
I once paid $200.00 for a US Robotics 9600 Baud modem NEW
(Ah...So many memories of PCI and VESA Buss's, and the Config.sys File, Irq conflicts, girlfreind conflicts)
I think I still have it the card not the girlfreind.
I could go on and on I am sure it is only intresting to me.

Yes, this isn't 12 step we all have stories

What made you switch to Linux Mint?

I am getting ready for the XPocalypse this April 2014.
As my sig say's been using linux since 1/14/2014.
I do computer work/service as a hobby and need a distro that I can swich my xp people to.
It is getting harder and harder to fix xp.
Most of them run similar hardware to this machine -->something you can buy at walmart in 2007 (LOL)
I found that most of the people that I help with their computer only use it for web and web based email, storing digital photos and as one of the people I help put it I cant loose my "M PEE Number 3's".
Maybe some low end games like card games Spider solitare ect.
They really don't need the power they have but hey think they need MORE?
You need that power to run Windows 8 and a touch screen yah thats the ticket you need more power and a touch screen.

(Heck I used my AMD K-6 700Mhz 1GbRAM 80gbHD with AGP Video until 2007 damn thing is bullet proof it would probably boot right now if I pluged it in LOL)

Again with the stories this guy is killing me

Most of them are like me, working people and don't have the $$$ to just go buy an new computer or upgrade to the latest windows ver.
So I had a good freind who can use a computer he brought me his nuked (typical malware virus stuff)
Dell 2350 P4 1GB 80GBHD running XPP32SP3
Thought he would be a good test case see if real "non geek" user could live with Linux.
Tried Zorin liked it but, could not get all the "windows decorations"? to display made it hard to use.
Tried Ubuntu 13.10 could not get the video right made it hard to use.
Tried Xbuntu ( I think thats right) it would have worked fine.
I read a post (Some forum) about a guy kind of does tech support like i do.He set up his Sextigenarian grandma on Mint-MATE, and some other adventurous XP users with glowing results.
I can't remember the poster or the forum it could have been eanfrid
I need to get adept enough to support the people I help.
If this works out well I can really help alot of people.

I took the Dell 2350 running Linux MINT Petra - MATE to him January 18, 2014 and he is using it after about an hour of my expert tutalge
AKA an hour of drinking beer in front of a computer. (LOL).
REALLY, dude go to a doctor or something.
That's why,
Great thread Idea
passerby

Post by passerby »

Bill_Graves wrote: I took the Dell 2350 running Linux MINT Petra - MATE to him January 18, 2014 and he is using it after about an hour of my expert tutalge
AKA an hour of drinking beer in front of a computer. (LOL).
REALLY, dude go to a doctor or something.
That's why,
Great thread Idea
I don't mean to go off-topic, but if you're going to be installing Mint for other people, I recommend going with an LTS (long-term support) version instead.
Chances are they aren't going to realize that Mint 16 won't be supported after its 9 month life-span, whereas Mint 13 won't need upgrading until April 2017.
XpRefugee

Post by XpRefugee »

passerby,
Thanks for your response,
I have been in this world for 6 days now and did not know what LTS even meant before your post! (NOOB)
Made a new thread
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=156744
as to not pollute this thread.
I hope there wasn't something posted alteady that I should have read.
passerby wrote: I don't mean to go off-topic, but if you're going to be installing Mint for other people, I recommend going with an LTS (long-term support) version instead.
Chances are they aren't going to realize that Mint 16 won't be supported after its 9 month life-span, whereas Mint 13 won't need upgrading until April 2017.
fraxinus_63

Post by fraxinus_63 »

Bill_Graves - welcome to the world of Linux Mint and thanks for your posts.

passerby's advice re. chosing LTS editions is very good - but don't blame yourself for not having appreciated the distinction between the "latest" and the "latest LTS" editions. This has been discussed a lot in this forum in recent months, and many of us feel that the LTSs should be given much more prominence on Mint's home page.

What makes an "LTS to LTS" upgrade strategy even better is that I believe there is a script that automates this process. In other words, after Mint 17 (the next LTS ...) is released, you can decide when you want to move up to it from Mint 13 and it can be done for you without a reinstall. See eanfrid's post here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 02#p803490.
katiko

Post by katiko »

Linee wrote: Trying hard to sway my kids in the direction of Linux. I hate to insert another platform here but they use Android (phones). I've got an Android tablet that I would love run some version of Linux on but I'm too afraid to try. Anyhow, If the kids can use Android, they can use Linux. Maybe someday I'll succeed.
Android is based on Linux, under Apache license, so they are using Linux anyways :wink:

If you want a "true Linux/Android" (100% open source and with real privacy), you should check Replicant

http://replicant.us/about/
Oldbwl
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Oldbwl »

I came to linux for 2 reasons. Firstly, I was using Vista, when 7 came along I just didn't have the cash to upgrade. Also, I became increasingly fed up with having to shell out on Kaspersky and dealing with all sorts on problems. Whilst I have never had a virus, or infected file, I could feel a kind of pressure building, an almost paranoia, everytime I used the Desktop or Laptop. I have been around since before the world of Gui's - I have run a huge Dial Up BBS before the land of the internet and was a node in Fidonet long before email took off, so I was not adverse to a bit of tinkering and configuring in a terminal.

I experimented with Mandriva and was blown away - this was a GUI I could work with and it was Free. I hesitated a full blown transfer to linux for a few months as at the time one or two bits of hardware I needed to use were not supported. I next dipped in to Ubuntu 12.04, enjoyed that for all of a month before realising that for me Mint Cinnamon was the best Desktop environment for my workstyle and preferences.

I have always liked LibreOffice, despite its (now rapidly shrinking) list of shortcomings compared to my prev fav of MS Office 2003.

I have converted all my hardware to Mint, even the ones at work. 2 friends followed suit and for once we feel that the hardware and software work in the background, it is what we do with them that we can focus on. For ages I have wanted a new Desktop tower unit. Full on power specs. And you know what, pah, I don't need it at all. My humble setup works just fine without any lag. - Now if I could only get that Plymouth resolution to work properly....... :P

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”