Mint updates: Grub: Use maintainers version?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Orographic
Level 2
Level 2

Mint updates: Grub: Use maintainers version?

Post by Orographic »

Hi guys,

Have searched via google and the forums but can't find a clear answer on this issue.

Just did an update of Mint 13 today (Love Mint, use it full time) and I get that update of Grub message that goes something like 'keep the local version or use the maintainers version.'

I used the maintainers version, is that okay? Think that is what I have done in the past.

I always find that message a bit obscure.

Thanks for the help :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Mint updates: Grub: Use maintainers version?

Post by xenopeek »

Usually you'd keep the local version for any files in /etc, like this one. You can ask for a diff between the current version and the new version, but perhaps that output isn't readably by everybody.
wb666greene

Post by wb666greene »

This has got to be one of the most confusing issues for new and casual users. Not just for Grub updates.

Accepting the maintainer's version has always served me well since Ubuntu 6.06.

Unless you've specifically done something to customize the config files installed by default, its generally best to accept the default configuration of the update.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

No, it's not. It causes problems because some Ubuntu packages update files in /etc installed initially Linux Mint's ubuntu-system-adjustments.

For example if you get an upgrade for grub-common on Linux Mint 13, you should keep the current version. Which is also the recommended action by apt.

Code: Select all

Configuration file `/etc/grub.d/10_linux'
 ==> Modified (by you or by a script) since installation.
 ==> Package distributor has shipped an updated version.
   What would you like to do about it ?  Your options are:
    Y or I  : install the package maintainer's version
    N or O  : keep your currently-installed version
      D     : show the differences between the versions
      Z     : start a shell to examine the situation
 The default action is to keep your current version.
*** 10_linux (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ? 
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palo »

xenopeek wrote:No, it's not. It causes problems because some Ubuntu packages update files in /etc installed initially Linux Mint's ubuntu-system-adjustments.
Aw stink! I didn't know this and always accepted the new version because I didn't make any changes. Should this be rolled back somehow to the version as it was "Mint installed" (you know, mint condition)?

Pat
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

It's probably fine, I'm just warning that you generally shouldn't overwrite files in /etc. If you want, you can copy the /usr/share/ubuntu-system-adjustments/grub/10_linux file back to /etc/grub.d and after a "sudo update-grub2" you would have the old file in effect again. You need to copy the file as root.
wanchai
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wanchai »

I modified my /etc/grub.d/10_linux because I wanted certain things to be password protected. Ran update-grub, rebooted and everything was fine. Then I wanted to make more changes and found out that the previous edits were lost. Apparently, the system copies /usr/share/ubuntu-system-adjustments/grub/10_linux to /etc/grub.d on every reboot.
Orographic
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Orographic »

After googling, I am still not exactly sure what to do with this situation during a Mint 13 update that states something like 'Do you want to keep the original version of Grub or use the maintainers version? Its a confusing question during a big update...

Which is the best option?

Is there an official answer? I cannot find one...
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

If you don't know any better, keep the "original version". You can ask for a diff between the current version and the new version, but perhaps that output isn't readably by everybody.
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

+1 (from http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=154639 )
eanfrid wrote:The normal - safe - rule is to always keep existing config files because...

1/ they are already working
2/ they may (should) contain custom/local tuning that would be overwritten if you would replace them with newer default config files

If however the new release of the upgraded software needs real changes or bring new config features over the older one, you will still find the new default config file(s) with an added ".new" suffix. You can then review later which changes you may wish to - manually - apply into your existing config files.

Return to “Software & Applications”