SATA HDD support

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
varaahan
Level 1
Level 1

SATA HDD support

Post by varaahan »

I could not install Elyssa on my Seagate 160 GB SATA HDD.
Only the Samsung IDE HDD is detected by the partitioner.

May be the support problem with the kernel !

May I know the latest version of Mint which supports SATA HDD drives ?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rivenought

Re: SATA HDD support

Post by rivenought »

I have Mint 5 installed on a Seagate SATA drive. No problems at all. However, it is the only hard drive attached to the motherboard. Therein most likely lies your problem. There are other posts about two drives (PATA + SATA) being used in combination. You may wish to research in that direction.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Make sure your motherboard supports SATA. Also, make sure the drive is set to be backwards compatible with SATA, if it has a SATA II interface.

Fred
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

This is probably not an issue, but I thought I would mention it just for the sake of future knowledge. Many Seagate SATA drives have a small jumper on the back. The jumper on the pins means it is 150 MB (SATA 1). If you remove the jumper, it becomes 300 MB (SATA 2). If the drive worked before the installation of Linux Mint, then the jumpers are not the problem. But you now have a bit of trivia to share at your next dinner party.

Your choice of a Seagate drive was a good one. I have found the Seagate fluid-dynamic drives to be much quieter than Western Digital's ball-bearing drives. I have a WD that sounds like British Airways taking off from Heathrow....

I would go with Fred's suggestion of checking the motherboard settings. There may be something about boot order. There may also be something once you get into the boot record. I do know you are going to have fun.

As for me, I try to keep it simple with only one hard drive connected to the motherboard at the time. I like to keep things as uncomplicated as possible. Good luck!
varaahan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by varaahan »

The primary IDE disk hosts windows which is shared by a lot of people and as such I could not remove that drive.

The SATA drive houses about 8 linux partitions on which Arch, Debian, Zenwalk, Puppy etc are installed.

Somewhere in one of the fora I read about the limitations of the latest kernels with SATA support.

I had Cassandra already installed on this same SATA drive previously but the windows had a wavy problem and so I had to remove that.
drifter0000

Post by drifter0000 »

I have had the same problem with a Seagate SATA3.0 and thanks to a lot of peoples help just fixed it this morning.

Load CD or DVD, at boot screen choose install, then choose boot options

At the end of the boot options add this pci=nomsi

According to a post in ubuntu forums this is an option to allow live CD or Installer to see SATA drives.

I tried it this morning with hardy 8.04 install and it worked great....good install....and running great I assume it will work with my other CDs including Mint 5.0

Hope this helps

Return to “Installation & Boot”