LM Debian Edition bootable from pendrive?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
rpallen

LM Debian Edition bootable from pendrive?

Post by rpallen »

I originally installed LM 16, Cinnamon using a pendrive I created using Universal USB creator in Windows.
I want to try the LM Debian Edition. I downloased the iso to Windows and "installed" it to the pendrive just like I did with the LM 16. However, when I boot with the pendrive, the the pendrive is ignored. I even interrupted the boot sequence and made sure it went to the USB first (the BIOS was obviously seeing it) but it then continued booting as if the pendrive wasn't bootable.
I know I can't make a bootable pendrive for regular Debian using Universal USB. Is this also the case with LM Debian Edition?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Re: LM Debian Edition bootable from pendrive?

Post by Monsta »

If you still have your LM16 installation, boot into it and use mintStick to write ISO to the pendrive.
rpallen

Post by rpallen »

I just tried this(I think) and it didn't work.
I went to all applications and typed "mintstick" into the search box. I got to choices, neither of which said "mintstick". One was USB Stick Formatter and the other was USB Image Writer. I used them both. First, I formatted the stick. I then wrote the image to the stick.
I then rebooted the computer with the stick in place and the same thing happened as before: the computer ignored (or acted as if the stick isn't bootable).
The image I used is from the LM website and is the image for the debian edition, 64 bit Mate.
Any other suggestions?
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Did you download the latest ISO? This one?

I don't know what else to suggest: USB Image Writer should've worked fine. Maybe this tutorial will help in some way (see the sections named "Using the Terminal" and "Using Microsoft Windows").
rpallen

Post by rpallen »

Yes, I used that latest image.
I referred to the article you mentioned and the part about MS Windows is the way I originally tried before I posted.
As I said in the original post, I know you can't created a bootable stick for regular Debian using Universal USB Installer. You can only create one from Debian's "Live" images or their network installation images. Perhaps there's something about the Debian edition of Linux Mint that is the same reason I can't get a bootable stick from the iso. Maybe the regular Debian and the Linux Mint Debian Edition iso files aren't "hybrids" as discussed at the beginning of the article you described.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

I remember I've successfully used mintStick with that ISO, so it must be hybrid. Have you tried the "Using the Terminal" section BTW?

Also it would be a good idea to check md5sum of the ISO.
valkus

Post by valkus »

Hi, if it is still relevant:

Well, I had a similar problem.
1) The drive should not be formatted as MBR. http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=103875
2) when I was copying the .iso image on the disk formatted with mbr I copyed it into /dev/sdX1, which is wrong, it should be copied to /dev/sdX

I lost quite some time with that.... hope it helps.
bneal0312

Post by bneal0312 »

I just had the same issue over the last few days. It turned out for me that my BIOS couldn't recognize a USB stick that was any larger than 4Gb. Once I moved the install to a smaller drive, it worked the first time with no troubles at all.

I hope that helps you a bit.

Return to “LMDE Archive”