USB Printer and CUPS - CUPS not recognizing printer on port

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rec9140

USB Printer and CUPS - CUPS not recognizing printer on port

Post by rec9140 »

I am doing some testing on a setup to convert it from winslop to linux, and have run into a problem.

The printer.

Printer - Canon F30 aka MPC400 on USB

There is no native linux driver but using one of the CUPS S600 drivers will work. I done this via Samba share when the computer its connected to is infested, but I am trying to move away from infested computers.

The problem is CUPS doesn't show that there is a printer on the USB port, so it refuses to allow me to install a printer on that port using the kludge for the drivers.

Code: Select all

mint@mint:~$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 04a9:2611 Canon, Inc. SmartBase MPC400
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
mint@mint:~$
mint@mint:~$
YES - Printer was on and connected during startup

All my printer experience has been with either parallel or network based printers and have never had an issue unless it was some totally unsupported winprinter crap. The USB ones have always come up on the port in CUPS for me to either use a CUPS driver or a generic PCL or other driver.

The question boils down to...

What obvious simple step am I missing in getting CUPS to recognize that there is a printer on the USB port? :oops:

modprobe? ?

I am less worried about scanning at this point, I'll work on that via SANE after I get printing to work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: USB Printer and CUPS - CUPS not recognizing printer on port

Post by Husse »

I don't think you've missed anything - it should just be detected
For scanning there are some good solutions in the forum
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

I ran lsusb on my machine running Mint 5 BETA 2. I got this output:

Code: Select all

Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000  
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000  
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000  
Bus 002 Device 005: ID 04a9:106d Canon, Inc. S750 Printer
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000  
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000  
Now, there is no easily-available, off-the-disc Linux printer driver for the Canon S750, so I can sympathize. As you discovered, another similar driver will work. I use the S630 Gutenprint simplified driver. I have no problems.

In past experience, I have seen numerous oddities. If your printer has worked previously, it usually should continue to work unless there is some sort of physical damage. One option to try is moving the USB cable from one USB slot to another on the back of the computer. Slots can sometimes go bad. Also, USB cables can go bad. If you can test your printer connection with a known-to-be-good cable, that might help in verification.

Have you run all of your updates, including any updates to CUPS? It often never hurts to be updated.

I am just tossing out some typical possibilities that are easy to test and do not involve tinkering with codes and excessive modifications. I am hoping it will be an easy fix for you. I do wish you good luck.
rec9140

Post by rec9140 »

rivenought wrote:Have you run all of your updates, including any updates to CUPS? It often never hurts to be updated.

I am just tossing out some typical possibilities that are easy to test and do not involve tinkering with codes and excessive modifications. I am hoping it will be an easy fix for you. I do wish you good luck.
Thank you for the reply. All excellent tips.... under winslop the printer/scanner works fine.... under winslop as a Samba printer I can print from Linux via my driver trick......

Boot the KMint CE DVD, CUPS just refuses to acknowledge there is even a printer there... :evil:

My goal is that this box is converted to running under Linux and use VMWare Server to unfortunately run winslop as its user uses programs that just do not exist in Linux and probably never will....The basics are fine, but other things don't exist in Linux.

The deal breaker in this is the printer....and unfortunately replacing it is not an option or I would probably run out and just get another HP C7280 and be done. Using it via VMWare is not the option I want to run, as I want to force a movement to linux and use the VM only when absolutely needed to run a winviros viprogramus.

Till the hardware works 100% (which I am pretty much at 98%, this device is the only problem) under the live DVD environment I can't install it, and I doubt the RAM disk would hold the 200+ updates needed. I've got to prove everything works 100% the same or similar to this user. They are not your average convert, so in some ways this will go alot better than other conversions will.

Knowing that it will work to print driver wise, if I could just get CUPS and/or kernel and/or something else to understand there is a printer there. :evil:

I am sure there is something very basic linux wise I am missing. Even if I only get it to print.
Husse

Post by Husse »

http://www.openprinting.org/test/printe ... make=Canon
MPC 400 is stated as "Paperweight"....
The S600 as "Partially"
Perhaps the explanation is there
I have a Brother DCP 7010 printing is easy - to get the scanner working made me write a post about it...
smarkin

Post by smarkin »

Try turning the printer on and off and then unplugging and replugging. If that doesn't work try "echo -1 >/sys/module/usbcore/parameters/autosuspend".

If it doesn't work after the "echo" rescue from suspension then try the on/off, plug/unplug.

Had the same problem with a Samsung 2150.

I researched it a while back and there's a bug in the linux usb software which gets cranky with some printers.
maccabbeo
Level 2
Level 2

Re: USB Printer and CUPS - CUPS not recognizing printer on p

Post by maccabbeo »

Same problem,
any solution?
thanks
driversupported

Re: USB Printer and CUPS - CUPS not recognizing printer on p

Post by driversupported »

You can donwload ahother driver
check your driver printer canon s750 in this site

http://www.driversupported.com/canon-s7 ... -download/

thank you for you attention
i hope this quetion can solve your problem :)

Return to “Software & Applications”