CD or DVD is not initialized until VMWare player is launched

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
olegvf

Post by olegvf »

I recently installed LMDE 201303 and updated it with UP7.
Not as fine tuned as the Ubuntu based one, but the idea of not to ever (hopefully) needing to reinstall it seems appealing to me. I have converted to Linux (mostly to Mint) quite a big number of friends and neighbors who since then have forgotten my telephone number, not necessary a bad thing.. ;) I do not mind helping them with some minor issues from time to time, but OS upgrade, in any form, for most of them is more than I am willing to spend my time and efforts for.
The current problem that I am facing now is the following:
When I insert a CD or DVD disk into the drive of the notebook (to be particular - HP Pavilion dv6-3033cl), CD/DVD drive is not initialized and, consequently, disks are not mounted, and can not be mounted, until I fire up VMWare player. Then CD/DVD drive initializes even before I see the Guest's boot screen, and can be accessed on the host and in the guest.
Any I idea that can remedy the situation is greatly appreciated!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Re: CD or DVD is not initialized until VMWare player is laun

Post by GeneBenson »

Hi olegvf,

Perhaps this thread will help (see my post there).
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Re: CD or DVD is not initialized until VMWare player is laun

Post by Monsta »

If it doesn't help then read this thread.
olegvf

Post by olegvf »

Thank you GeneBenson and Monsta. It's just a bit over 4 a.m. here right now. When I'll wake up for good, I'll try your kind suggestions. Sounds promising!

Return to “LMDE Archive”