Vertical Panels in Gnome 3 (or Cinnamon)

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
cb474

Vertical Panels in Gnome 3 (or Cinnamon)

Post by cb474 »

I'm excited about the Mint release of Gnome 3. It's the first time I've had any hope that it would become usable and not an annoying regression, based on form over function. And the combination of Mate plus Gnome 3 is a brilliant idea. I feel like Mint is really the only distro showing vision and leadership, in the face of the Gnome 3 release.

But one feature that is an absolute must for me, on my laptop, is thin vertical panels. I don't want to waste any vertical space with panels, but have plenty of extra horizontal space. This is one of the elements I most like about Gnome 2. It would be an amazing improvement if Mint came up with a way to implement vertical panels in Gnome 3. And I would especially love to see this in the LMDE edition. Thanks.
Last edited by cb474 on Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
bimsebasse

Re: Vertical Panels in Gnome 3

Post by bimsebasse »

That setup can be achieved in less than ten minutes in MGSE, all you need is a dock (e.g. awn or docky), adding a gnome shell extension to hide the top panel, disabling 2 already added extensions to remove the bottom panel, and setting up your vertical dock how you want it. This is Linux, you're not stuck with the default desktop setup, there are plenty options to have it your way.
cb474

Post by cb474 »

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm familiar with AWN and Docky. I'd call those docks, rather than panels, in the Gnome sense. I don't really like them. I like the kind of layout and configurability that the Gnome panel (especially as it was in Gnome 2) offered. So I'd simply like to be able to take the panels in Gnome 3, as they appear with Mint's MGSE and drag them to the sides of my screen (as had been possible for eons in Gnome 2).

I'm quite familiar with Linux and the non-default options. I've been using Linux for a long long time, even if I haven't posted much in this forum. But with the advent of Gnome 3, I don' t think there really is anything out there equivalent to the Gnome 2 panels in vertical mode. Except for XFCE, but I prefer a more full featured desktop.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Wow, verticals panels in GNOME 3? Well, "if I wanted icons that run down one side of the display, I’d be using Unity, which at least includes other tools to make them more useful." :roll:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
cb474

Post by cb474 »

Have you ever tried vertical panels in Gnome 2? They are far more featured and usefull than awn, docky, unity. The unity vertical "panel" is just another dock, it's not a panel. I think people are just not getting what sort of functionality would be lost with any of those suggestions. And it makes no sense in Gnome 3 to impose space wasting horizontal panels on people who want to optimize vertical space. Especially on laptops and netbooks that Gnome 3 is supposed to be good for. This is simply a valuable functionality that has lost in the shift from Gnome 2 to Gnome 3.

I don't know why I can't make a suggestion without people mocking it. If it's not something you value or are unable to understand fine. It doesn't mean it wouldn't be valued by and useful to others. All I want to do is be able to move the panels to the side of screen as was always possible in Gnome 2. It's a simple and useful idea.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

cb474 wrote:Have you ever tried vertical panels in Gnome 2? They are far more featured and usefull than awn, docky, unity. The unity vertical "panel" is just another dock, it's not a panel. I think people are just not getting what sort of functionality would be lost with any of those suggestions. And it makes no sense in Gnome 3 to impose space wasting horizontal panels on people who want to optimize vertical space. Especially on laptops and netbooks that Gnome 3 is supposed to be good for. This is simply a valuable functionality that has lost in the shift from Gnome 2 to Gnome 3.

I don't know why I can't make a suggestion without people mocking it. If it's not something you value or are unable to understand fine. It doesn't mean it wouldn't be valued by and useful to others. All I want to do is be able to move the panels to the side of screen as was always possible in Gnome 2. It's a simple and useful idea.
If you want to say GNOME 2 is, was, better than GNOME 3 or Unity then I can agree with you about this... :mrgreen:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
cb474

Post by cb474 »

linuxviolin wrote:If you want to say GNOME 2 is, was, better than GNOME 3 or Unity then I can agree with you about this... :mrgreen:
Yes, there we agree, because I definitely would say that!

So I guess I'd just like to have Gnome 3 offer some of the same basic functionality as Gnome 2, since it remains to be seen how well the various keep Gnome 2 alive projects will do. (I know Mint is adopting Mate, but Mate isn't really supporting all the Gnome 2 packages yet.) I'd like to have an up-to-date system (ideally rolling release) but with Gnome 2 functionality (or a Gnome 3 that can approximate it).

For me, vertical panels is a very basic and essential element of functionality in any desktop environment (although often ignored or poorly implemented).
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

cb474 wrote:Thanks for the suggestion. I'm familiar with AWN and Docky. I'd call those docks, rather than panels, in the Gnome sense. I don't really like them. I like the kind of layout and configurability that the Gnome panel (especially as it was in Gnome 2) offered. So I'd simply like to be able to take the panels in Gnome 3, as they appear with Mint's MGSE and drag them to the sides of my screen (as had been possible for eons in Gnome 2).
With AWN you can make an almost exact replica of a classic gnome top panel, just a matter of configuring and adding the proper applets. Not saying you should be perfectly happy, then - it's certainly a hassle that gnome shell doesn't give the possibility to have vertical panels. On a widescreen laptop myself and vertical panels make more sense on those, you don't wanna lose horizontal window space.
cb474

Post by cb474 »

Thanks. I'll take another look at AWN. If I got it set up to my satisfaction, will I be able to get rid of the top and bottom panels in MGSE? If not, it would sort of defeat the purpose of saving vertical space.

It is a little ridiculous to have to go through this hassel, just to get something that existed in Gnome 2 and was trivially simple to set up. I'm honestly considering just switching to Debian Stable, since it will be supported for a while and has a plain old Gnome 2 desktop. But it would be nice to think that there is a way to move forward with Gnome 3 and have an acceptable/usable experience.
everfree

Post by everfree »

I agree 100 percent with the OP about vertical panels ! It is such a basic setting , how it is dismissed as unneccesary is silly. Such an "advanced" desktop that all these wonderful things and you cannot change the panels to vertical ?
In the days of 4/3 screens , the panel position reeally didn't matter so much. But with the widesceens of today, what I want is all the vertical space used AND have the panel visible on the side. Not too much to ask for at all. Until then ... MATE willl do ... and I think Mint for that :)
cb474

Post by cb474 »

Yes, Mate continues to be my solution also. I don't care what new fangled interface they come up with in Gnome 3 (which to me still adds nothing over Gnome 2/Mate). If you can't have vertical panels on a laptop with a relatively short wide screen LCD, then it's just a huge step backwards. XFCE has vertical panels. KDE does it. I don't know why Gnome 3 thinks a one size fits all solution is a good idea. People have different needs on different machines. Gnome 3 needs to get with it. If not, it would be great if Mint fixed this limitation by adding veritcal panels as an option in Cinnamon.
eXcalibur1234

Re: Vertical Panels in Gnome 3 (or Cinnamon)

Post by eXcalibur1234 »

i agree with the post above this one 100%.

using AWN or CairoDock is not a good solution, because you have to hide your horizontal panel and this is just a pain in the a*s to work with. it is not 100% stable as well.

the only reason i use XFCE is it's ability to have vertical panels. i have tried KDE as well.
XFCE's development is not fast enough to keep up with the changes in the linux world: they have not switched to gtk3 yet and they have no plans for wayland. this means XFCE will be a bad DE to use in the future.
KDE's (using qt instead of gtk3) plans for the future are great, but i do not like the look of KDE at all.

cinnmon is the perfect solution for me, because of it's graphics style, ability to customize, use of gtk3, soon to be independent of ubuntu, and it's plans to use wayland. there is only one thing preventing me from using cinnamon: no vertical panel.

if there is a way to change the horizontal panel in cinnamon to a vertical panel, please tell me!
CH1291

Re: Vertical Panels in Gnome 3 (or Cinnamon)

Post by CH1291 »

Agreed, a dock is NOT a panel and the XFCE 4.10 Deskbar panel mode is really good, but I still like Cinnamon a lot too, esp v2.0.
Anyway, If not done already, go over to http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/view/2748 and vote. Maybe it will happen... just need some momentum!

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”