Cannot install LunuxMint 5 Beta

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Cannot install LunuxMint 5 Beta

Post by waldo »

waldo wrote:I'm getting a similar busybox error on my system, AMD 64 with nVidia built-in on ASUS mainboard, SATA harddisk. The live CD boots fine, and the install appears go as planned. When booting off the harddisk, the grub screen appears OK and the splash screen starts, but then the system hangs with the little meter bar going back and forth for about 10 minutes. Then the busybox error appears. I've tried a couple of options (don't really know what I'm doing here), but nothing works. Any suggestions?
This is just an informational follow-up to my post earlier in May (quoted above). The new beta "048" works just fine, so something was done that fixed the problem. Thanks! It really looks nice. :)
fmgil

Post by fmgil »

I have a problem in the installation of the Linux Mint 5 Beta, but I really don't know if it is similar... I have a PC CHIPS A900 notebook with 256mb memory, and it would take a week to install the Mint Beta (even in the compatibility mode). Can I install the OS only on the boot mode?

I thank you a lot for the help.

Felipe Gil
Husse

Post by Husse »

256 MB is too little (256 mb is not theoretically possible)
On top of that PC chips.....
waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by waldo »

fmgil wrote:I have a problem in the installation of the Linux Mint 5 Beta, but I really don't know if it is similar... I have a PC CHIPS A900 notebook with 256mb memory, and it would take a week to install the Mint Beta (even in the compatibility mode). Can I install the OS only on the boot mode?

I thank you a lot for the help.

Felipe Gil
You need to be looking at another distro for your notebook. Mint is designed to take advantage of modern hardware, but the downside is that it needs a lot of memory and a fast processor.

There are several good options. If you wish to stay in the Ubuntu family, try Xubuntu. It should work better, but if you can find the means, I'd still suggest getting at least 512mb.
http://www.xubuntu.org/
Perhaps an even better choice would be Puppy Linux. Running on old hardware is one of the goals of that project.
http://www.puppylinux.org/

Waldo

Return to “Installation & Boot”