Relative popularity of the various versions

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
unprinted
Level 2
Level 2

Relative popularity of the various versions

Post by unprinted »

I know that a variety of things mean any statistics will be estimates, but what's the relative popularity of..

Cinnamon vs MATE vs LMDE vs etc

and

64-bit vs 32 bit installs?

My feeling is that there are more people using 32-bit versions than some would expect, because - unlike Windows - using PAE properly means they're not crippled to be limited to 4GiB RAM.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
passerby

Re: Relative popularity of the various versions

Post by passerby »

I don't think there's any refutable reference to outline the popularity of each. Between a plethora of mirrors, torrents, and the fact that you can install another environment post-install, such stats are difficult to measure.
My own guess would be:
Cinnamon > MATE > XFCE > KDE > LXDE > Openbox
64 bit > 32 bit
Mint > LMDE
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

See pie chart on the bottom of the Mint Community website front page >>> http://community.linuxmint.com/ :mrgreen:

<Passerby pretty much nailed it!>
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
John_Brass

Post by John_Brass »

This pie chart looks me a bit weird. Users of the "x64 Edition" also use some kind of environment, thus this is not a category like the others. Or am I mistaken?
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

This poll from last year may give you a general idea: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... &start=580
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
unprinted
Level 2
Level 2

Post by unprinted »

John_Brass wrote:This pie chart looks me a bit weird. Users of the "x64 Edition" also use some kind of environment, thus this is not a category like the others.
Ditto for 'Main' edition!

I think part of the issue is that those stats go back a long way - I do not believe so many people are currently using older versions in the proportion shown in the other pie chart. I suspect it's what they were using when they registered / last logged in.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”