LXDE or GNOME+OPENBOX?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

What DE for the MiniCD edition?

Gnome+Openbox
20%
LXDE with Metacity
22%
LXDE+*box window manager
59%

Total votes: 200

merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

It's a nice little DE, very small and you don't have many Preferences.
I have it installed on my Xubuntu Gutsy(added everything that Celena XFCE CE has)
I have these apps running on login, Restricted drivers manager, wicd and mintUpdate.
Here is what it looks like on my system using xfwm4 and lxpanel.
Click to Enlarge:
Why not show Compiz Fusion
I couldn't get Openbox to work in the past and don't have the space to try again.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

D-EJ915 wrote:That looks pretty nice, LXDE + *Box gets my vote.
It's not bad but this is XFCEs window manager called xfwm4 + LXDE.
Not sure that Openbox would be able to do this.
maty1206
Level 5
Level 5

Post by maty1206 »

I prefer Gnome + Openbox :!:
Linux Mint apps translator
punk

Re: LXDE or GNOME+OPENBOX?

Post by punk »

Well, the Gnome + Metacity option is obviously much more refined and user friendly, but I don't think it's any good for old hardware, unless you are a genius who can somehow make Gnome run faster.
visitor

Post by visitor »

I voted for metacity+LXDE

though openbox+LXDE can get pretty light i was experimenting with LXDE on a Hardy heron install right now and it was using around 60-70 MiB for the desktop. which could probably be further refined to around 50-60 MiB which would be perfect for systems with 128 MiB of RAM.

You could take parts of xfce like its window manager and fuse it with LXDE too though i am not sure of the memory usage that could be cause by that.
coderneedsfood

Post by coderneedsfood »

LXDE with OpenBox and Mint 5 RC1 .. works awesome and should be the basis for the mini edition

Post by guest »

I voted twice: GNOME + Openbox and LXDE + OpenBox
GNOME + Openbox is easy and intuitive, but is very big
Rob Loach
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rob Loach »

My vote is definitely not for Openbox, but the Netbook Remix instead.
snodgrss1984

Post by snodgrss1984 »

whats the point of this
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

snodgrss1984 wrote:whats the point of this
BlahBlah_X wrote:I want to make the mini-cd edition as cool, lightweight, and small as possible
;)
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
snodgrss1984

Post by snodgrss1984 »

that is pretty cool and maybe we will find tweaks for the original i really hope we have tools to defrag check disk etc and ext4 coming are way just to make it perfect on 7
snodgrss1984

Post by snodgrss1984 »

i guess i could ask the question here what is better when building a system should i do a dual core pentium 4 system or a amd phenom 2 am2 am3 socket ones newer ones supposedly better
snodgrss1984

Post by snodgrss1984 »

im trying to build something and i like both amd and intel but i cant figure out whats the best i have heard intels older may be faster but then again i have heard phenoms rule
kneekoo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kneekoo »

I voted for LXDE, obviously. If it's about a lite version we can't use Gnome for it, although it would be nice to see how lite Gnome can get as well. :) Still... the Lite version should have LXDE. When can we expect some results? McLovin really worked on this one and maybe you can join effort to wrap it up and launch a beta/RC soon. At least launch it before all our older computer die, or else we would only have a faster Mint - not that it would be bad for us... but we have some oldies that would love a Mint breeze on them. ;)
mati75

Post by mati75 »

I make Linux Mint with lxde (more information here: link removed). It's first version, but there having a lot of errors :D .
Edit by Husse: See below
mattf

Post by mattf »

I would love to see an LXDE + Openbox version of Mint. I'm hoping it would be like Crunchbang, but with more configuration tools and stable enough for daily use. That would be a real gift to the community.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I removed the link to this "unofficial Mint lxde" in the post by mati75
It is not permitted to use Mint branding without the permission of Clem or me
It is not permitted to release an edition under the Mint name without the permission of Clem
This is to be sure that what ever is released as Mint meets our standards
It is permitted to use Mint as a base and release your own version, but then all Mint branding must be removed
This is to protect Mint
kneekoo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kneekoo »

Husse, you did the right thing removing that link, but the point is people are pretty anxious to see Mint LXDE - myself included. I know you're currently busy with the KDE and XFCE Community Editions but at least offer us some feedback on what's up in here, on LXDE. Will this be part of your plans? Will you create a normal CE or a MiniCE based off LXDE? What about both? (more complicated)

I tried to get some attention in here and the blog as well but I can't do more than that 'cause it is useless to stress you guys. You know better what to put on the table but the lack of information is killing us. :P Give us a hand, freshen-up these threads with some official info. Is it set for the end of July? Great! Is is set for August or September? Well... OK, but still great! It's just it is annoying to check these two threads almost daily and see no action. I'm sure you understand.
Husse

Post by Husse »

We are working on a LXDE edition but I have not heard of McLovin, who is the dev, for a while
I know he had a baby recently so he probably has his hands full
The KDE and XFCE editions are always (well not quite) released a month or so after the main edition but we can't say that for sure about fluxbox and lxde

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”