frostwire

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ti479
Level 1
Level 1

frostwire

Post by ti479 »

hello,

i have just finished a fresh install of mint 5 and it is wonderful!!, however i am having a problem getting frostwire to work. i have tried to install it from the software manager and also as an .EXE file under wine. the problem it that while it will install it will not open or run, all i get is a white block on my screen the same size as the frostwire GUI. Whatever prevents this from working also
prevents limewire from working also- being as they are almost the same thing. i have 3 machines i am waiting to install mint on but i am trying to fix this first.

any help is appreciated

scott
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: frostwire

Post by Husse »

You have to realize that frostwire is just a tool to configure iptables, so your box is not unprotected
Try to completely uninstall and then install again
kayakaholic

Post by kayakaholic »

Urr Husse I think he means this http://www.frostwire.com/ which is a bittorrent/Gnutella client.

You could try the deb on the frostwire website?

Could it also be a java problem as I think both frostwire and limewire are java apps?
Husse

Post by Husse »

Ouch :lol:
Didn't notice limewire there and didn't know of a torrent client by that name
Anyway if it's installed "the normal way" my advice to completely uninstall and then reinstall is stil valid
Thanks kayakaholic
ti479
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ti479 »

thanks, Kayakoholic and Hesse

i have tried uninstalling and re-installing the app but it continues not to work. how can i tell if i have a java problem? and how if i have one could i correct it?
Husse

Post by Husse »

I confused Frostwire with Firestarter - not very similar names I admit but it has been written a bit about Firestarter lately
Frostwire seems to be a java app
Which version of Mint do you use?
Do you have a couple of entries for Sun java in the menu?
It's hard to tell if you have java problems - you could try to reinstall java
ti479
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ti479 »

i am using the new version ............ 5. it only seems to affect this version as a have used it with success in mint 4.0 gnome.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Check which version of java it needs - perhaps it's a bit too new in Elyssa
Right now I have two computers running both with Beta 048 so I can't check the java in Daryna easily
ti479
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ti479 »

i checked the specs on that and frostwire requires java 1.5 or higher....... mint comes with 1.6 installed correct? if so what else would you suggest?

Return to “Software & Applications”