Synaptic "Mark All Upgrade" killed my wireless (broadcom)?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mgy333

Synaptic "Mark All Upgrade" killed my wireless (broadcom)?

Post by mgy333 »

Hi all,

I just tried installing Linux Mint 5 Elyssa RC2 (BETA 048) on my old laptop (Compaq R4000). Everything was working rather well. I got the compiz to work on the weak ATI Express 200M card. I install Japanese input with very little problem. I got wireless to work with b43-fwcutter. I did all the updates through mintUpdate. Everything was great.

Until, I decide to do upgrade through Synaptic using "Mark All Upgrades."

As soon as I did that and the installation was complete, I lost my wireless. Now I can't recover it at all. It no longer appears under restricted hardware section. It's as though the wireless card no longer exists.

Has anyone experienced this before? Is there anything I can do to recover my wireless? Is "Mark All Upgrades" something I shouldn't do under Mint?

Thanks for help...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mgy333

Re: Synaptic "Mark All Upgrade" killed my wireless (broadcom)?

Post by mgy333 »

If it's something that could cause some issues, I wish the "Mark All" button was either grayed out or not there...

I think I've done the most things described on those pages.

Actually I did get ndiswrapper to partially work yesterday. I could see all the wireless network available. The problem is, I was not able to connect to them.
mgy333

Post by mgy333 »

Well, with no quick fix in sight, I ended up starting over.

I followed some instructions I got to get ndiswrapper working, but that didn't go well. I got the wireless card to find all the network around, but always times out at step 2 out of 5 when actually connecting to one, according to the log. This is exactly what happened with Ubuntu Hardy (not surprisingly). Shame, since ndiswrapper used to work fine under Gutsy.

I guess that "Mark All Upgrades" button is off limit.

Thanks.
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

Sorry to hear that you have had a spot of bother with some upgrades. I could really horrify you with some stories from openSUSE. I have become quite accomplished with clean installs and can do it in just under four hours. Yes, it takes that long to get an openSUSE system up and running to the peak of perfection.

Anyway, I think you might be better off sticking with the official Mint Updates. As you have seen, wholesale updates in Synaptic are most likely to bring in unwanted changes to your Mint install. I am running with what Clem and the boys have set up and am having absolutely no problems. I like to experiment as much as anyone else, yet I have found Mint to be the least amount of hassle and trouble I have ever dealt with in a Linux distro. I have to tweak very little, and even that only takes a couple of minutes.

Good luck with your new install.
mgy333

Post by mgy333 »

Well, now that I have new install, I am not going to be touching THAT button any time soon... :D

I did run /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintWifi/mintWifi.py once when I had the system messed up. Off my memory, Broadcom 4306 was found as PCI device, but the system found no wireless device (no wlan0, only lo and eth0). I assume this is the same result I get with iwconfig.

I am guessing that Synaptic updated hal from Hardy's repo. I have access to another laptop that uses Broadcom 43xx that runs Hardy (my wife's), and that one is completely up to date, and its wireless is working fine using fwcutter, so whatever that happened to hal is conflicting with Mint, so it seems.

Broadcom wireless has always been touchy anyways, but it does make me wonder if any other hardware is affected.

Return to “Hardware Support”