Mint doesn't have a username search, so I had to google this entire site to find the last post I made to this thread.
This statement is not really covered by the facts:
First of all you can use the Advanced search in order to locate posts written by a particular user (author).Second and more important in this case, you can always locare your own posts, by using the "View your posts" link at the top of the page.
Last but not least, the address of this thread had been added at the end of the old thread, here
So there was no real need to google for own post.
I don't know how to use synaptic to do UPDATES, but synaptic does run.
- Launch Synaptic might be step #1.
- Click on the [Status] button to make Synaptic display software packages grouped by status. Will be handy.
- Click on [Refresh] software list button.
- Mark the found updatable software packages. (Status: Updatable) Right-click and select for installation.
- Click on [Apply] will be the last step.
Cannot/will not comment on the question whether mintUpdate malfunctions frequently on Mint KDE editions, because I use Cinnamon and xfce and have not experienced any such problem on Cinnamon and xfce. (Mint 13 / 14 / 16)