Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rivenought

Re: Log In Screen Resolution Incorrect

Post by rivenought »

Linux Mint is a great distro, though, every so often there is a slight adjustment that needs to be made depending on hardware. One issue can be the GRUB options for screen resolution during boot. Here is brief how-to that can hopefully be a quick fix.

First off, the exact resolution desired must be chosen. From this chart, pick the resolution necessary for your hardware. As an example, I need the 1024×768 16-bit resolution, so I choose the number 791. This chart may not exactly display properly, but I am just trying to get the info to you in some almost readable form.

640×480 800×600 1024×768 1280×1024 1600×1200
8bit 769 771 773 775 777
15bit 784 787 790 793 796
16bit 785 788 791 794 797
24bit 786 789 792 795 798

(This chart looks a whole lot better in my notes before copy and paste. Sorry.)

Once you know your number, here is what needs to be done:

Click on the mintMenu and choose Terminal. In Terminal, key in:

Code: Select all

gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
Enter your password and click OK. Scroll down the page until you get to the ## End Default Options ## section. The third line under there reads something similar to:

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-generic root=/dev/sda6 ro quiet splash
Put your resolution number at the end of that line so it reads something similar to:

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-generic root=/dev/sda6 ro quiet splash vga=791
Once you have this done, save the “menu.lst file” and close the Terminal. Reboot the computer to verify the changes. You should hopefully boot up into the correct resolution. As always, your kilometerage may vary.
Good luck!

*** If anyone sees where I have made a mistake in my steps or notes, please tell me. I always hope to share the most correct advice possible. ***
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rivenought

Re: Log In Screen Resolution Incorrect

Post by rivenought »

Jordan, the above works for me. Apparently, it depends on video cards/settings/drivers, etc. There may be an issue with Framebuffer graphics, or it might be the monitor. I use desktops with an NEC E700 CRT - no laptops. I know I can use VESA graphics on one box and ATI drivers on another box through a KVM switch and still get the same log-in screen on my only monitor. Maybe my setup is somewhat unusual. 67GTA had some good advice on this issue, but I cannot find that post right now. I think his solution worked better then mine - depending on the machines.

As long as I can see the log-in screen and be able to type in it, I am happy enough. Also, I only reboot about once every two or three weeks when I turn the systems off while I am out of town. So, I do not see that screen much anyway. VGA=791 is the 1024x768 resolution that works for me. You may have to experiment and research further. I am going to dig around a while on this end. If I come up with anything new, I shall post. Good luck.

Return to “Installation & Boot”