Java desktop OK, Java in browser not

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mintmintmint

Java desktop OK, Java in browser not

Post by mintmintmint »

I have Mint 15 and I have Java installed. I know it works because I have Eclipse and I can write small programs in it that run properly. Also, about a year ago I wrote a program that opens a window with a few controls in it (but I can't find the program now). In my new job I need to access a page that uses Java but when I do it from this system (Mint 15 + up-to-date Firefox), the browser locks up. Is there a way to make it work properly? Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mintmintmint

Re: Java desktop OK, Java in browser not

Post by mintmintmint »

For anyone who has the same problem as this:

I installed Chromium and Java works fine on it.
Mint + Chromium = OK
Windows + Firefox = OK
Mint + Firefox = Doesn't work
trapperjohn

Post by trapperjohn »

I run Java in the Firefox browser without problems using the icedtea package in synaptic. When installed, there will be an icedtea-web control panel menu item in the main menu. If the settings are set such that unsigned content. If, on the security tab, the allow user to grant permission to an untrusted authority is uncheck then certain sites will not work.
mintmintmint

Post by mintmintmint »

Thanks for the info. I ran Synaptic and went through each of the menus (File - Edit - Package - Settings - Help) and I don't see an icedtea-web control panel. I searched for "iceatea" in Synaptic but nothing comes up. I searched for "iceatea" in Software Manager (mintinstall) and I have installed: icedtea-7-jre-jamvm, iced-7-plugin, icedtea-netx, icedtea-next-common; not installed are: various icedtea-6-* and icedtea6-*, icedtea-7-jre-cacao, icedtea-plugin. I don't see icedtea-web.
trapperjohn

Post by trapperjohn »

Hi,
Icedtea is the correct package and you have it.

Start the control panel from the command line:
/usr/bin/itweb-settings

Also, be sure the plugin is both present and enabled in Firefox. (Tools>addons>plugins)

Try also going to a site that you know is using a signed application:
e.g.: http://mark-bishop.net/index.php?page=page1

Also, sometimes Icedtea presents a security dialog when you browse to a site. The trouble is, the security dialog displays behind the Firefox window.
mintmintmint

Post by mintmintmint »

Strangely enough I tried it now without doing anything and it works! (I have not tried Mint+Firefox ever since I first posted.) Perhaps it was due to an update either of Firefox, Java, Mint or the web page?

I ran /usr/bin/itweb-settings and searched for "allow user to grant permission to an untrusted authority" and it was enabled. The plugin is present and is set as "Ask to Activate". I ran the Java applet and I minimized all windows. I did not see a security dialog.

Well, the problem seems to have been solved automagically. Thanks for the suggestions.
a.smuckers77

Post by a.smuckers77 »

go to google, type webupd8, follow the instructions for your arch./ditro

Return to “Software & Applications”