For that all-black linux look...

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mkqx

For that all-black linux look...

Post by mkqx »

Have any of you tried to achieve this? As far as I've got without making my own, and finding other metacity themes on the internet;
I've assembled a list as to what I believe is the best looking combination so far - please add any others worth checking out !

Cairo-dock for the bar, main menu icon (HERE) and changed update manager icon (HERE) to keep it all in sync.

Controls/ Main theme:
DeLorean-Dark-Theme-3-6-G
http://killhellokitty.deviantart.com/ar ... -342067457

Icons:
Mint-X-Dark
Already installed

Window Boarders:
FineryDark
http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ ... ent=124694

Mouse Pointer:
Obsidian
http://teft.deviantart.com/art/Obsidian ... t-78972293

EDIT: Oh, forgot to drop a link for the wallpaper, can be found:

A big shoutout to the designers for making mint look so good!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: For that all-black linux look...

Post by Flemur »

Have any of you tried to achieve this?

No, I very much prefer white or light backgrounds with black text, including keyboards.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Lethargic Chii

Post by Lethargic Chii »

I like what you have done, but, I don't like your icon bar at the bottom. Too much like a Mac. Mac's are... Macs. I think this would look great with a dark green for the titlebars and a smidge of a lighter but still dark brown somewhere. Kinda get that down to, gritty, earth feel? Almost like a grunge theme?

Edit: This just popped in my head. That texture you have below the title bar is nice, and if you could do something like that for the title bar, only more like Steams (with the diag lines) would look sweet.
Fuzzy Penquin

Post by Fuzzy Penquin »

I alternate between light and dark themes, but here are a couple of my dark ones.... all theme element info can be had by reading the info in the image. Everything was either found on gnome-look.org or DeviantArt.com. Wallpapers, usually found on Google Images or DeviantArt.

(Don't know what this Cinnamon theme is called, I can't seem to find it in my theme files anymore....)

Cinnamon theme is called Holo. That wallpaper is of Samus from the Nintendo game series Metroid, from way back in the day.

Cinnamon theme is called L33T. Wallpaper is called DarkLight, found on DeviantArt.com.

Cinnamon theme is called Nadia Dark Green. This is my current theme for March, since it's well, green. Wallpaper is DarkLight, green version.

Cinnamon theme is called Hacktivist 1.4
mkqx

Post by mkqx »

I like cario-dock, as its easy to set up, so many options and animations, and I do actually like the 'Mac look' bar, although I hate everything else about Mac ;)

Some other really nice themes up there, Fuzzy Penguin! Although I'm trying to go for as plain black as possible, some of the colours are nice, but some of them do seem a bit cheesy, a bit too over-made.

Simple, matt black is the look which I ultimately would like to achieve, with colours only on progress bars, etc.
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

check this beast out http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/themes/view/294 don't forget check your hot corners :lol: :lol:

Fuzzy Penquin

Post by Fuzzy Penquin »

mkqx wrote: .....

Simple, matt black is the look which I ultimately would like to achieve, with colours only on progress bars, etc.
Haha, I was about to suggest that you'd like Delorean Dark, but then I checked your first post and saw that it was listed as one of the theme elements in your pic. :lol: So...nevermind, you already found it. :wink: I really like how versitile it is, it works well in so many configurations. Killhellokitty did a great job creating it.
mkqx wrote:
Some other really nice themes up there, Fuzzy Penguin! Although I'm trying to go for as plain black as possible, some of the colours are nice, but some of them do seem a bit cheesy, a bit too over-made.
Cheese just makes it fun. Like B movies. Or a hamburger with cheese. :mrgreen: :lol: :D
Fuzzy Penquin

Post by Fuzzy Penquin »

Zorba wrote:check this beast out http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/themes/view/294 don't forget check your hot corners :lol: :lol:

I saw that a week or so ago, and did download it. The animated hot corners made me LOL. I love dragons, so it was cool to see somebody make a theme using one (and dragons must have fire, after all!). :D
temetka
Level 1
Level 1

Post by temetka »

That blue hacktivist theme is really nice. But I am a KDE user.

Any chance of sharing the wallpaper for it?

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”