Salome-Meca

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sv_arellano

Salome-Meca

Post by sv_arellano »

Hello,

I recently decided to migrate to Linux from Windows. After playing around with different distros I am sticking with Mint, great work on this product, my thanks to all the developers.

I work in mechanical engineering and wanted to play around with Salome-Meca for analysis but cannot get it to install using the instructions in the web page. I am a newbie to Linux but want to learn.
http://www.caelinux.com/CMS/index.php?o ... &Itemid=40

Salome-Meca is also distributed with a PC-Linux OS based distro, but I much rather run it in Mint. :D
Can someone help me out? I thank you in advanced for the help,
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sv_arellano

Re: Salome-Meca

Post by sv_arellano »

First, I apologize, I am actually trying to install version 2008.1:
http://www.caelinux.com/forms/dlsalomemeca2008.html

I go through the readme just fine up until the end. the "runSalome" command does not work. I get a "command not found". I check the directory and saw that the file there was "runSalomeMeca" so I tried that command and got the same thing. I was also hoping there was a way to add a launch link to the Apps menu instead of having to run it from the terminal (assuming I get it to run from the terminal).

Thanks for your fast reply Ed
sv_arellano

Post by sv_arellano »

One other thing I forgot to mention,

The directory I am using is /home/sva/Apps
I tried using the /opt but got a "does not exist" message and I was unable to create it.
Fred

Post by Fred »

sv_arellano,

I know this is late in the game, and Ed has given you good advice, as usual. :-)

I would add one thing for future reference. Don't put programs in your /home. It is a bad habit to get into. It is not only bad practice, but it can complicate your life later on in multiple ways. Put them in /opt, as suggested. If you don't have a /opt folder, from a terminal, type:

sudo mkdir /opt

You will now have one. :-)

Fred
Husse

Post by Husse »

I agree with Fred - just a remark - when you put things outside your /home they are owned (or controlled if you prefer) by root so you have to use sudo....
sv_arellano

Post by sv_arellano »

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the great advise. I was able to run the software from the Apps folder and create the /opt folder. Before I get myself in trouble, is uninstalling the software to re-install in the /opt folder as easy as deleting the Apps folder? I promise to read the the userguide, I just have not had time for it recently.

Thanks again for all you help, Sergio
Husse

Post by Husse »

Yes you could probably just delete the folder. This always depends on dependencies :)
So what you can do is open synaptic and if the app has been installed by apt-get, aptitude, gdebi or synaptic it should appear there (gdebi is the thing that gets to work when you double click a .deb file)
Yo can easily find out what an app depends on and if something depends on it. If nothing depends on it, then you could delete the folder, but the best is to uninstall it by synaptic (you are in there already :)) so you don't mess up

Return to “Software & Applications”