Samba share password not saved.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
paradox

Samba share password not saved.

Post by paradox »

Hi all, i have my small smb server setup like this: http://pastebin.com/1XTUXgxi on debian stable amd64.
I've always been able to "Remember Forever" my smb password so that i could instantly access my shares without having to login every time.
If i recall correctly though, a package update i made months ago ruined it all. Now i have to type username and password every goddamn time.
Is this a problem concerning Caja, the keyring or my server configuration?
Using Mint 13 MATE x86.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
n1b5

Re: Samba share password not saved.

Post by n1b5 »

Hi paradox

Still not had any replies for this issue? I'm hunting around atm on the forums and search engines, but to no avail. Have you managed to sort it? Of interest in Peppermint2 I get a similar issue but always quit the log in and still access my NAS (which is the object of the samba use); however does not work in Mint (maya). Sadly my memory is rubbish and I cannot remember how it used to work in Ubuntu - but fair to say I often had issues with networking in Ub.
paradox

Post by paradox »

Nope, no answers.
In ubuntu i remember i used to simply access my SMB server by inserting username\password, selecting "remember forever" and that was it.
Troken

Post by Troken »

I have the same problem and it is very annoying. Have a Synology NAS that needs password every time, never remembered.

On linux Mint 14 mate
Somnus

Post by Somnus »

Same problem here (connecting to Synology NAS using smb) - does not store passwords in Mint 14 (64bit), but did in Ubuntu 12.04
Troken

Post by Troken »

Did it work in Ubuntu? Hm... might try it on that computer. It's pretty much impossible to work and to constantly type in passwords.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

The command that actually connects to and mounts the share can be passed parameters:

Code: Select all

gvfs-mount smb://server/share < /home/altair/creds 
/home/altair/creds must have the user name, workgroup, and password - one per line - for the NAS device like this:

altair
workgroup
altair-nas-password
You can automate this by creating a file at say ... /home/altair/NAS_Mounter with this content:

#! /bin/bash
caja /run/user/altair/gvfs
Make it executable then create a launcher on your desktop with a command that points to the /home/altair/NAS-mounter script. Double click the launcher and it will authenticate, mount, and launch caja to the mount point.

Is this a butt-ugly workaround? You betcha but it's the best I can do at the moment.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Troken

Post by Troken »

Thank you, I bet it works but it seems complicated for a simple user like me. :-)
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I understand. Seahorse is the thing that saves and remembers the password and it appears there either is no seahorse or it doesn't work in MATE. Sorry, I'm an XFCE user and only have MATE as a VBox guest so I'm not an expert of it's inner workings.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Somnus

Post by Somnus »

Yes this script works (thanks altair4). Just realised I am posting in the Mate forum; I am in Mint 14 Cinnamon (so changed the caja line to nemo).
I think you would have to create a new line for each shared folder on the NAS... haven't tried this (but couldn't access other shared folders not mentioned in the script).

I am not keen on keeping the password in the clear as a text file. And as you say, the actual mechanism for keeping the password seems broken (so I guess this is not properly solved?)
myrkat
Level 2
Level 2

Post by myrkat »

altair4 wrote:The command that actually connects to and mounts the share can be passed parameters:

/home/altair/creds must have the user name, workgroup, and password - one per line - for the NAS device like this:

altair
workgroup
altair-nas-password
You can automate this by creating a file at say ... /home/altair/NAS_Mounter with this content:

#! /bin/bash
caja /run/user/altair/gvfs
Make it executable then create a launcher on your desktop with a command that points to the /home/altair/NAS-mounter script. Double click the launcher and it will authenticate, mount, and launch caja to the mount point.

Is this a butt-ugly workaround? You betcha but it's the best I can do at the moment.
Sorry to resurrect a year-old post, but I was wondering if this was still the best "butt-ugly" workaround, or if something better/gui'd had been found. Searching for the problem still pulls this page up, so it must be still pertinent for many users.

I get the "forgotten password" thing on my smb shares under Mint 16 Xfce (x64) for both thunar and nautilus. I don't mind hitting the cli to set up altair4's workaround, but was hoping there would be something built in by now, or a setting to tweak.
Main Comp: i7-4770K @ 3.5GHz + nVidia 760GTX + 16GB RAM + SSD + HDD²
Linux Mint 17.2 - KDE 4.14.2 - kernel 3.16.0-38-generic
Join me and become a Linux Mint Community Sponsor and share some love! (for as little as USD$20 a month)
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Actually, the kids found their way into dad's toolbox and managed to make a mess of gvfs so I've moved back to AutoFS to have these share "automount".

No way to set this up with a GUI - as far as I know - but if you're interested here's a HowTo: HowTo: Auto Mounting Samba Shares Using AutoFS

No more gvfs - no more seahorse - no more lions or tigers or bears ..........

Return to “MATE”