first impressions

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
matva
Level 1
Level 1

first impressions

Post by matva »

hi,

OK, i just got my Linux Mint Bianca running.

I've only been using it for a couple hours so far, but from what i can tell it is an excellent and beautiful distro. I really like the "dirty" approach it takes on linux.
I like the fact that it takes the already excellent hardware compatibility and package management of ubuntu, and adds better looks, more features, and added functionality. I'm by no means an expert on linux, but doesn't it make sense for all distros to work off the same code used for hardware recognition? I think ubuntu is way ahead of the game in this respect, so i wonder why other distros don't adopt it.

I think the #1 thing i like is the modified gnome menu. I like the stability and compatibility of gnome, but i dislike its default interface ("System" "Places" etc). The menu interface that mint uses is far superior imo, but maybe thats because i'm a long time windows user (i also like doubleclicking on the window title bar to maximize:P).

Anyway, props on an awesome distro. Not sure if this already exists, but i would like to see a beryl/xgl live version in the future. I think that would be neat. Also, i like the fact that there are upcoming KDE and XFCE versions (i am an XFCE fan myself), but i also think that distros are best when they concentrate efforts on one desktop environment (as ubuntu has done).

Just my 2cents..
peace
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”