Troubleshooting / Diagnostics Wizard-Sound - Your votes Pls

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
anandrkris

Troubleshooting / Diagnostics Wizard-Sound - Your votes Pls

Post by anandrkris »

Requesting your views and votes posted here.
Here it is...Today's Eureka Moment - Yes, I got an idea ;-)

Most would agree on the diversity and choice (read freedom) of Audio related applications (ALSA, Pulseaudio,etc) in Linux.
Audio issues is an oft repeated complaint by newbies, perhaps due to lack of awareness of configuration options available in Linux. Typical issues such as Sound not working in Speakers, Headphones, HDMI, etc could perhaps be addressed by tweaking some of the basic settings. However, an easy to use diagnostics tool that guides this process would be of great help to users.

My suggestion for Linux Mint Desktop is to build a Step-by-Step wizard which helps users solve their hardware related issues. This can have a series of questions and based on user responses, wizard should guide the users to naviagate to the various settings - recommended intelligently by Mint based on available applications in the system. (Alsmaixer, Kmix / Phonon / Pavucontrol, etc in case of Audio)
For instance, Audio Diagnostic Wizard (Sample Questions hence trivial in nature) questions could be of the nature -
1) Are you sure you are not muted?
2) Are sound levels properly set in Alsamixer?
3) Are you sure Sound card drivers are properly installed etc.

Possible Solutions could be - Restart Pulseaudio, Re-install drivers, Switch Audio Channel to Built-in Audio Analog Stereo, etc

Frankly, I *could not* visualize all the aspects, so if am making sense and if you consent to the basic idea - please cast your vote. :-). Also provide your inputs as comments and I will try to incorporate your comments and articulate the idea in a better manner. Else, feel free to shoot it down, which is expected of the community moderators.

To start with, this could probably be first implemented in Cinnamon dekstop.

This could also be implemented in a more generic fashion to solve any hardware related issue - My Wi-Fi / my printer / my graphics card / my webcam / my mice not working, etc. Atleast such a wizard will help in solving simple issues and restrict the flow of trivial questions to forums. Also thinking if it is implemented, whether this can work both offline as well as online. Think of the wizard as a context sensitive help feature.

Edit - Finetuned the idea.
Last edited by anandrkris on Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:02 am, edited 6 times in total.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Troubeshooting wizard - Sound ( et al)

Post by catweazel »

anandrkris wrote:Atleast such a wizard will solve simple issues and restrict the flow of trivial questions to forums.
No it will not. Not even the mighty google can do that. Nearly every issue under the sun can be solved by judicious searching but many people's first reaction is to hit the forums, where people who provide support are expected to do the searching for them.

That isn't a criticism of users in this forum, by the way. It's a generalised observation of an internet-wide problem.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
anandrkris

Re: Troubeshooting wizard - Sound ( et al)

Post by anandrkris »

TehGhodTrole wrote:
anandrkris wrote:Atleast such a wizard will solve simple issues and restrict the flow of trivial questions to forums.
No it will not. Not even the mighty google can do that. Nearly every issue under the sun can be solved by judicious searching but many people's first reaction is to hit the forums, where people who provide support are expected to do the searching for them.

That isn't a criticism of users in this forum, by the way. It's a generalised observation of an internet-wide problem.
I tend to agree and have personally seen posts which look like forums are first resort for OP's. But what do you think of the idea, per se, does a wizard look like a viable solution? I am not even sure what questions should feature if it were to be built but somehow an inkling that wizard should help structure our own thinking to problems faced by users.
anandrkris

Re: Troubeshooting / Diagnostics Wizard - Sound (Other I/O)

Post by anandrkris »

11 votes so far. 8) Lobbying here for more votes / views / refinements on this :idea: . Thanks!
anandrkris

Re: Troubeshooting / Diagnostics Wizard - Sound

Post by anandrkris »

Status change. Progressed to next level. :) Requesting here for more votes / views / refinements on this :idea:. Hope am not spamming. :wink:
Score: 16 out of 21 votes
anandrkris

Re: Troubeshooting / Diagnostics Wizard - Sound

Post by anandrkris »

Requesting here for more votes / views / refinements on this :idea:. Hope am not spamming. :wink: Will appreciate if viewers of this post have a look at the idea.
Score: 18 out of 23 votes
Wirezfree
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Troubleshooting / Diagnostics Wizard-Sound - Your votes

Post by Wirezfree »

When looking for a distro, I evaluated Zorin.
Not sure which section(System).?
There was a Tool that went through all areas of PC doing tests
From displays, Audio, keyboards, plugging in media, plugging power in/out if laptop.
It even did a power sleep, wake after 60secs test
You answered YES/NO and N/A and it guided you through testing what appeared to be everything

Yes, a Mint Tool would be useful +1 for me
I think it should prompt to run this tool on 1st run.

Dave
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

Wirezfree wrote:When looking for a distro, I evaluated Zorin.
Not sure which section(System).?
There was a Tool that went through all areas of PC doing tests
From displays, Audio, keyboards, plugging in media, plugging power in/out if laptop.
You answered YES/NO and N/A and it guided you through testing what appeared to be everything
Oh! Thats Interesting.
Wirezfree wrote:Yes, a Mint Tool would be useful +1 for me
I think it should prompt to run this tool on 1st run.

Dave
Could you take a couple of minutes and cast your vote on the community site as well perhaps with the comment on implementation in Zorin.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Wirezfree wrote:There was a Tool that went through all areas of PC doing tests
That's Ubuntu's checkbox application (I just booted ZorinOS 8 ISO to check), and you can install checkbox on Linux Mint also. It's in the repositories for all current versions of Linux Mint. Install checkbox-gtk if you want the Gtk interface, checkbox-qt for Qt, or checkbox-cli for command line.
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

@xenopeek - Thanks. Will give it a shot. :D Is there something you *don't* know? :wink: 8)

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”