Play classic console games in your browser!

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Play classic console games in your browser!

Post by xenopeek »

The Internet Archive have put a huge collection of 70's and 80's console games online, which you can run for free directly from your web browser. Relive some memories :wink: https://archive.org/details/consolelivingroom

The games currently don't have sound but that will be added soon. Over the coming months the collection of games will expand greatly.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Play classic console games in your browser!

Post by roblm »

xenopeek,

Thanks for the link. It really brings back memories for people like me who grew up with some of these systems. For you younger
people, try out the game Burgertime in the ColecoVision game system. It was first introduced in the Intellivision game system. Click
“Run” under the game picture to start it. I would not advise selecting “Fullscreen” because the game then takes too long to load and
the picture is too pixalated. Press the number 1 on the keyboard.

Move the chef with the arrow keys. The object of the game is to move across the pieces of food, which causes them to drop. They
need to be dropped all the way to the bottom while avoiding the enemies. If an enemy is close behind you then he will be dropped
at the same time or you can drop pieces on top of enemies. You can temporarily stun an enemy by facing towards it and pressing
the Control key, which tosses a pepper at them.

I only wish all of the games were available such as Ladybug.
Booman

Post by Booman »

Awesome post! I'm guessing they all work in Linux browsers correct?
I've tried Flash games and Unity games in Chromium and Firefox and many don't work.
Specially Facebook games. Since Adobe refuses to update flash player for Linux we are stuck with older Flash games.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

Using Firefox, not all the games I tried worked and the Ctrl key had to be pressed first to get some to start, like Frogger for
Atari 2600. I was mainly interested in the Atari 2600, Atari 7800 and ColecoVision systems.
Booman

Post by Booman »

I had tried a few and they work ok in my Windows Chrome at work.
I'll have to try with Chromium on my Mint 16 machine at home.
It seems most of the playable games are atari
I've looked for other arcade games like "Bad Boys" "Galaxian" etc... but they don't have a browser hosted game for them.
Nice database though... really fun looking for games

Return to “Gaming”