Installing Mint on Computer For Sell

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TechGuyAndrew

Installing Mint on Computer For Sell

Post by TechGuyAndrew »

I run a windows computer support business and from time to time I come across good systems that people are wishing to discard. I will usually take them, fix anything that is not functioning, and install Mint. I haven't re-sold any yet, but I am now getting quite a few and I am wondering if there are any special terms and/or conditions to be followed when selling a computer with Mint installed. I would probably be re-selling each system for anywhere from $25-$75 USD depending on how many things I have had to replace. Could a Mint team member let me know about any requirements. I respect Mint and its developers and I want to make sure I don't do anything that harms it or them.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Installing Mint on Computer For Sell

Post by xenopeek »

You're free to sell computers installed with Linux Mint, as long as you installed from the official Linux Mint ISOs and aside from possibly having installed any needed additional drivers have not customized the installation. If you want to sell computers with a customized installation of Linux Mint, please contact the Linux Mint project lead, Clement Lefebvre, at root@linuxmint.com beforehand to get permission to use the Linux Mint trademark, artwork, and other branding and copyrighted material in your customized distribution.

Probably best to install Linux Mint 13, the current long-term support release, till Linux Mint 17 arrives later this year (it is the next long-term support release). You can download it from here: http://www.linuxmint.com/oldreleases.php.

As you are in the USA, please use the no-codecs version for installing to avoid you getting into legal trouble for selling computers with software that possibly infringes on patents registered in the USA.
TechGuyAndrew

Post by TechGuyAndrew »

Alright, thanks.

I would be installing the OEM Mint image direct from the website, so that wouldn't be a problem. I will probably wait until May when Mint 17 LTS comes out to start selling anything.
xenopeek wrote:As you are in the USA, please use the no-codecs version for installing to avoid you getting into legal trouble for selling computers with software that possibly infringes on patents registered in the USA.
Would users be able to easily (no super tech-savy users) add the codecs themselves after purchasing the computer?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

IIRC, the Welcome Screen application offers to upgrade to the full edition.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”