can install unity in mint?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
F1241

can install unity in mint?

Post by F1241 »

Hello.Im fariid from I.R of Iran.Im new in linux and mint addition.
My first question is This:Can i Install Unity desktop in LInux mint 15?And How PLease?TANX Alot For all...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: can install unity in mint?

Post by karlchen »

Hello, F1241.

In order to understand my answer it is important to know this equation:
Mint 15 = Ubuntu 13.04 - Unity desktop + Mint desktop
So the most efficient way of getting Mint 15 with Unity desktop is by [url=http://www.ubuntu.com/start-download?distro=desktop&bits=32&release=latest]downloading and installing Ubuntu 13.04 with the Unity desktop[/url] directly. :wink:

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

karlchen wrote:Hello, F1241.

So the most efficient way of getting Mint 15 with Unity desktop is by [url=http://www.ubuntu.com/start-download?distro=desktop&bits=32&release=latest]downloading and installing Ubuntu 13.04 with the Unity desktop[/url] directly. :wink:

Kind regards,
Karl
First answer is the winner - in under 15 minutes. Mint Forums ROCK! :mrgreen:

<that is all...>
Last edited by Reorx on Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, F1241.

There seems to be a way of simply adding the Unity desktop to an existing Mint system. Cf. this thread, please: [url=http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?p=606874#p606874]unity on maya[/url]
I would not be amazed if the steps recommended by viking777 worked on Mint 15 as well.

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Your best bet (as was said) is to install ubuntu 13.04 with unity desktop...though it could be added to mint, you are better off using it in it's native environment...

Just like i could install cinnamon desktop session on my ubuntu 13.04....but if i preferred cinnamon over unity (which i do not) i'd be on mint instead...why? because it is the native environment for it! :D

I like Karl's "equation"...that is an excellent way to summarize it :wink:
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

I like Karl's "equation"...that is an excellent way to summarize it :wink:
Actually this equation simplifies things a bit, hm, maybe a lot.

The difference between Ubuntu 13.04 Unity desktop and Mint 15 Cinnamon desktop is not only the desktop environment:
+ Mint uses mdm instead of lightdm.
+ Mint by default does not make use of compiz.
+ Mint uses a lot of forked Gnome3 programme modules.
So some of us are pretty well aware that turning Ubuntu into Mint requires more modifications than just replacing one single software package Unity by one single software package Cinnamon.
Cf. e.g. here: [url=http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=113455&hilit=convert+ubuntu+to+linuxmint][HOW TO] Convert Ubuntu 12.04 to Linux Mint 13[/url].

Yet, the central and most visible difference between genuine Ubuntu and Mint is the desktop environment, the user interface.
This is why from my point of view going back from a Mint desktop environment (Mate, Cinnamon) to the default Ubuntu Unity desktop environment you are reverting Mint back into Ubuntu. This is why from my perspective the easiest way of getting the Unity desktop is by installing genuine Ubuntu 13.04 with the Unity desktop directly.

Yet, as mentioned in a previous post, not all users share my point of view and installing Unity on Mint is feasible: [url=http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?p=606874#p606874]unity on maya[/url]

Karl
Lifeline
Rüssel

Post by Rüssel »

I would like to install Unity in Mint 16. Has anybody done this successfully?

I followed this intruction (based on Mint 15):
http://www.securitronlinux.com/linux-mint-2/how-to-install-the-ubuntu-unity-desktop-in-linux-mint-15/

Afterwards the installation is not complete.
In Mint 16, some Unity panel applets are missing. There is no menu for logging out, or switch user, and that kind of stuff.

Any ideas which packages may be missing?

Rüssel
alanwatts

Post by alanwatts »

Rüssel wrote:I would like to install Unity in Mint 16. Has anybody done this successfully?

I followed this intruction (based on Mint 15):
http://www.securitronlinux.com/linux-mi ... x-mint-15/

Afterwards the installation is not complete.
In Mint 16, some Unity panel applets are missing. There is no menu for logging out, or switch user, and that kind of stuff.

Any ideas which packages may be missing?

Rüssel
It's funny, I have the EXACT same question. Can anyone answer it/did you resolve this problem?
joaocgreis

Post by joaocgreis »

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install --install-recommends indicator-applet-complete
Solved it for me, seems ok now.
ibrahimansari

Post by ibrahimansari »

karlchen wrote:Hello, F1241.

So the most efficient way of getting Mint 15 with Unity desktop is by downloading and installing Ubuntu 13.04 with the Unity desktop directly. :wink:

Kind regards,
Karl
Well, I do not think so. There are many additions to Linux Mint not available by default in Ubuntu, you see. Some of them aren't available in Mint too. To get it on LInux Mint, you have to type this into the terminal.

sudo apt-get install unity unity-scope-askubuntu unity-lens-applications unity-webapps-bbcnews unity-greeter ubuntu-desktop
And if you do not get full functionality, try this.

sudo apt-get install --install-recommends indicator-applet-complete
You see Karl, the basic mintTools are not available in Ubuntu at all. This will help to get Unity while keeping mintTools and Mint-specific functionality.

Return to “Beginner Questions”