Cinnamon Fallback Mode after UP8

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
HisDudeness

Cinnamon Fallback Mode after UP8

Post by HisDudeness »

I know that the previous topic warned about that, but you know, I never happen to do things right, and when mint-updater propped me the huge amount of updates I went straight into them like I do every time a minor amount of updates occurs. Did not know, and went through one Update Pack unharmed, so I went straight ahead sure of my system's safety. I decided to open a new topic as the previous one talked about UP7, and it was starting to get cramped and confused with several problems being brought up and people complaining and accusing.

Long story short, I installed my system way long ago with 201204 ISO, so I have the last edition with two DEs, luckily for me (MATE is giving no problems, so I'm using it now). I passed through UP7 and I'm having problems with this current UP8, if I didn't miss any Pack.

The first time I rebooted after the update, I got the hal cosmetic bug in the boot log, so I proceeded to purge it. But that didn't solve the problem.

Every time I log in using Cinnamon, my primary DE, I get the dreaded message "Restart Cinnamon? Cinnamon just crashed, you are currently running in Fallback Mode" or such.

I can log in using MATE, but it is not working 100% either because it looks like plain GNOME 2. Plus, I lost in both sessions many of my minor custom settings, such as certain hotkeys, double touch on the touchpad to scroll up and down, tap it to left click, double tap for right click and triple for middle one, and so on.

Also, don't know if it matters, my Cinnamon was heavily customized, with extra spices downloaded for it, like applets, extensions and such.

Anyone has a clue where to start from, like which details I should give or which command I should run posting the output here? Thanks for your help, have a good day!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Cinnamon Fallback Mode after UP8

Post by Monsta »

HisDudeness wrote:Every time I log in using Cinnamon, my primary DE, I get the dreaded message "Restart Cinnamon? Cinnamon just crashed, you are currently running in Fallback Mode" or such.
First, make sure the system is fully updated.

Code: Select all

apt dist-upgrade
should tell you something like

0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Then install mint-meta-debian-cinnamon.
HisDudeness wrote:I can log in using MATE, but it is not working 100% either because it looks like plain GNOME 2. Plus, I lost in both sessions many of my minor custom settings, such as certain hotkeys, double touch on the touchpad to scroll up and down, tap it to left click, double tap for right click and triple for middle one, and so on.
Both MATE and Cinnamon migrated to the new backends some time ago, and all the settings were lost during the upgrade. You'll have to set it all up manually.

Instructions on returning the default look to MATE are here.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

HisDudeness wrote:
Also, don't know if it matters, my Cinnamon was heavily customized, with extra spices downloaded for it, like applets, extensions and such.
Cinnamon 2.0 is probably crashing due to one of these applets.
The simplest is to remove/rename this folder:

~/.local/share/cinnamon/applets
All your custom settings about applets will be lost but you may be able to start Cinnamon. After that start them one by one until you find the faulty one.
HisDudeness

Post by HisDudeness »

Monsta wrote:First, make sure the system is fully updated.

apt dist-upgrade
should tell you something like

0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Yeah, it was fully updated.
Monsta wrote:Then install mint-meta-debian-cinnamon.
I did, it installed something like 53.6 MB of data, meaning that it effectively did something, but that didn't stop Cinnamon from crashing.
Monsta wrote:Both MATE and Cinnamon migrated to the new backends some time ago, and all the settings were lost during the upgrade. You'll have to set it all up manually.

Instructions on returning the default look to MATE are here.
Thanks! Restored everything as it was, including Mint-X theme hat for some reason wasn't selected. Now I think it looks like a fresh LMDE MATE install.
killer de bug wrote:Cinnamon 2.0 is probably crashing due to one of these applets.

All your custom settings about applets will be lost but you may be able to start Cinnamon. After that start them one by one until you find the faulty one.
I did it as Monsta's solution alone didn't solve the problem, and so I did with extensions too and the folder /usr/share/cinnamon/applets, where I did put most of them, but it still crashes into Fallback mode... any further suggestion?
rkkautsar

Post by rkkautsar »

Same problem here, after updating my LMDE to UP8, I log in to Cinnamon Fallback Mode, and there is a notification saying "No 3D Graphic hardware could be found. Cinnamon acceleration is not available". Although it was running smoothly before UP8. My settings reset too.

I'm on ASUS X201E.
HisDudeness

Post by HisDudeness »

Right, I'll include some basic hardware info which certainly can't hurt. I'm on an ASUS U36SG-RX199V, with a dual-core Intel® Core™ i7 2620M Processor @ 2.70 GHz simulating 4 virtual cores and a double graphic card setup: an Integrated Intel® HD Graphics 3000 and a NVIDIA® GeForce® 610M with 1GB DDR3 VRAM. I have got 4 GBs of RAM so I'm running 64 bit.
rui.lima

Post by rui.lima »

killer de bug wrote:
HisDudeness wrote:
Cinnamon 2.0 is probably crashing due to one of these applets.

This worked for me.
I installed Classic Menu applet and activate it, cinnamon just crashed. After that I uninstalled the applet without removing it from the panel, and that was it. My Cinnamon was dead. Then I removed the ~/.local/share/cinnamon folder and got Cinnamon back.

Thanks a lot
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

rui.lima wrote:I installed Classic Menu applet and activate it, cinnamon just crashed.
This one? It's almost two years old, no wonder it crashes in Cinnamon 2.0. A lot of things changed under the hood since then. This is the perennial Gnome Shell/Cinnamon problem.

Return to “LMDE Archive”