SOLVED: How to change mate-keyring login password ?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Hansl
Level 3
Level 3

SOLVED: How to change mate-keyring login password ?

Post by Hansl »

Hello,

I just did a clean install of LMDE using the Mate desktop (now our 4th machine switching to Mint, I like it very much!). Pulled all updates and set up a WIFI connection which stores its password in the keyring. All fine so far.

Then I changed the users UNIX password, but this did not trickle through to mate-keyring. So at every boot I now get mate-keyring prompting for the old password.

How do I now change that mate-keyring login password?

In this fresh installation there was no "Password and Keys" entry. I then installed seahorse but since seahorse is about gnome-keyring and not about mate-keyring, it did not show any entries at all.

This seems to be a unresolved problem with the not yet perfect transition from Gnome to Mate. I know about the mixup of the two keyrings and had these problems concerning the OnlyShowÍn settings in /etc/xdg/autostart with my older LMDE installations. When searching this forum or googling, you find a lot of questions about that mess, but no satisfying solution. I just want to change that ****in' password — surely there must be a way??

Thanks for help! Hans
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
trapperjohn

Re: How to change mate-keyring login password ?

Post by trapperjohn »

[url]http://blog.roberthallam.org/2010/07/current-password-does-not-match-keyring-fix/[/url]

Has worked for me in the past.
Hansl
Level 3
Level 3

Re: How to change mate-keyring login password ?

Post by Hansl »

As I wrote, the was no "Applications | Accessories | Passwords and Encryption Keys" entry at all in the main menu, thereby voiding the instructions I already found in the net. Installing seahorse brought this entry, but it did not work since it associated with gnome-keyring.

Only afterwards I found the appropriate entry in Mate's Control Center — that one associates with mate-keyring and allows me to change this password. Solved.
lil123
Level 1
Level 1

Re: SOLVED: How to change mate-keyring login password ?

Post by lil123 »

Hi,

At every startup, after I entered my password to open my MATE session, a popup asks me to enter my keyring manager password ("Mot de passe du trousseau de clés" in french).

I do not know this password. When I try with my unix password, it does not work. The strange thing is, if I let this popup without giving the password, all my system works well, I can use my wifi connection and everything. So I do not understand what this keyring manager is intended to and why it asks me for a password all the time...

How to remove this or how to have it works automatically based on my unix password. Or, at least, how to change the password ?

Thank you for your help

PS I don't have Applications | Accessories | Passwords and Encryption Keys

Return to “LMDE Archive”