usb mounting

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
taranisstl@gmail.com

usb mounting

Post by taranisstl@gmail.com »

I'm using 5.0 on two systems. On both, every time I put my usb flash drive in, it mounts and stays mounted until I
umount them manually.
Here is a snap of #mount for the same drive plugged in 4 times.

Code: Select all

/dev/sdc1 on /media/disk-1 type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal,shortname=mixed,uid=1000,utf8,umask=077,flush)
/dev/scd1 on /media/cdrom1 type iso9660 (ro,nosuid,nodev,utf8,user=jason)
/dev/sdd1 on /media/disk-2 type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal,shortname=mixed,uid=1000,utf8,umask=077,flush)
/dev/sde1 on /media/disk-3 type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal,shortname=mixed,uid=1000,utf8,umask=077,flush)
/dev/sdf1 on /media/disk-4 type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal,shortname=mixed,uid=1000,utf8,umask=077,flush)
Is there a problem with umount.hal?

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 2008-05-28 16:26 umount.hal -> /usr/sbin/umount.hal
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: usb mounting

Post by 67GTA »

What behavior are you expecting?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
Taranisstl
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Taranisstl »

I'm expecting the drive to un-mount when it is pulled out...
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

Usually you want to manually unmount. If you just unplug a mounted drive, it can cause data damage. Is it listed to be mounted in your /etc/fstab file?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
Taranisstl
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Taranisstl »

typically what I do with the thumb drives is right click on them and unmount them graphically ... it is just a little quicker than doing it via CLI. For some reason I can't do it on 5.0. No I don't have them in fstab.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

So after right clicking on the icon, and unmounting it, and unpluging the USB drive, it is still mounted? Are you sure it is mounted, or is the icon just still showing? If the device is still listed in /etc/mtab after doing all of that, then it is still mounted. If not, then it is just a bug in Nautilus, and not getting rid of the icon.
Taranisstl
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Taranisstl »

So it works fine now. I was having a problem with compiz eating up about 750MB of memory... i reinstalled all components of compiz and it fixed the memory problem, as well as the 'visual' mounting problem with the usb drive.

Note: I was using the standard compiz config that came with 5.0... I didn't upgrade the packages, just re-installed.

Return to “Hardware Support”