mate-settings-daemon - apparent memory leak

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
HEXYEBO

mate-settings-daemon - apparent memory leak

Post by HEXYEBO »

Hello all,
I started noticing this shortly after applying UP8. mate-settings-daemon has a severe memory leak - close to 1GB/hr. This renders the system almost unusable after a few hours.
I can kill the process from Task Manager or terminal, but it comes back immediately and continues to leak memory.
Here are some of the system specs:

Code: Select all

sudo lshw -short -sanitize
H/W path        Device      Class          Description
======================================================
                            system         KT369AA-ABA a6512p (KT369AA#ABA)
/0                          bus            Benicia
/0/0                        memory         64KiB BIOS
/0/4                        processor      Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual  CPU  E2200  @ 2.20GHz
/0/4/5                      memory         64KiB L1 cache
/0/4/6                      memory         1MiB L2 cache
/0/2a                       memory         8GiB System Memory
/0/2a/0                     memory         2GiB DIMM DDR2 Synchronous 800 MHz (1.2 ns)
/0/2a/1                     memory         2GiB DIMM DDR2 Synchronous 800 MHz (1.2 ns)
/0/2a/2                     memory         2GiB DIMM DDR2 Synchronous 800 MHz (1.2 ns)
/0/2a/3                     memory         2GiB DIMM DDR2 Synchronous 800 MHz (1.2 ns)
/0/100                      bridge         82G33/G31/P35/P31 Express DRAM Controller
/0/100/1                    bridge         82G33/G31/P35/P31 Express PCI Express Root Port
/0/100/1/0                  display        G84 [GeForce 8600 GT]
/0/100/1a                   bus            82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4
/0/100/1a.1                 bus            82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5
/0/100/1a.7                 bus            82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2
/0/100/1b                   multimedia     82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller
/0/100/1c                   bridge         82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 1
/0/100/1c.2                 bridge         82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 3
/0/100/1c.2/0   eth1        network        RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
/0/100/1d                   bus            82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1
/0/100/1d.1                 bus            82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2
/0/100/1d.2                 bus            82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3
/0/100/1d.3                 bus            82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #6
/0/100/1d.7                 bus            82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1
/0/100/1e                   bridge         82801 PCI Bridge
/0/100/1e/0                 communication  HSF 56k Data/Fax Modem
/0/100/1e/5                 bus            FW322/323 [TrueFire] 1394a Controller
/0/100/1f                   bridge         82801IR (ICH9R) LPC Interface Controller
/0/100/1f.2                 storage        82801 SATA Controller [RAID mode]
/0/100/1f.3                 bus            82801I (ICH9 Family) SMBus Controller
/0/1            scsi0       storage        
/0/1/0.0.0      /dev/sda    disk           2TB WDC WD20EARX-008
/0/1/0.0.0/1    /dev/sda1   volume         1733GiB Linux swap volume
/0/1/0.0.0/1/5  /dev/sda5   volume         4GiB Linux swap / Solaris partition
/0/1/0.0.0/1/6  /dev/sda6   volume         100GiB Linux filesystem partition
/0/1/0.0.0/1/7  /dev/sda7   volume         100GiB Linux filesystem partition
/0/1/0.0.0/1/8  /dev/sda8   volume         1529GiB Linux filesystem partition
/0/1/0.0.0/4    /dev/sda4   volume         130GiB Windows NTFS volume
/0/2            scsi1       storage        
/0/2/0.0.0      /dev/cdrom  disk           CDDVDW TS-H653Q

dpkg -l | grep mate-settings
ii  mate-settings-daemon                                        1.6.1-1~mate1+lmde                all          daemon handling the MATE session settings (metapackage)
ii  mate-settings-daemon-common                                 1.6.1-1~mate1+lmde                all          daemon handling the MATE session settings (common files)
rc  mate-settings-daemon-gstreamer                              1.4.0-2+wheezy                    amd64        daemon handling the MATE session settings (GStreamer version)
ii  mate-settings-daemon-pulse

uname -a
Linux office-lmde 3.11-2-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.11.8-1 (2013-11-13) x86_64 GNU/Linux
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Re: mate-settings-daemon - apparent memory leak

Post by Monsta »

I've added the link to this thread to this bug report so the MATE devs would at least see it.
If anyone experiences the same issue, please leave a comment there if you can.
DarkNova

Post by DarkNova »

Mine is doing this too...mate-settings-daemon is also using about 100% CPU (all of one core). It leaks memory as described. Killing it released the memory but the process respawns and starts leaking memory and using 100% CPU again. Does yours use 100% CPU too?
HEXYEBO

Post by HEXYEBO »

DarkNova wrote:Mine is doing this too...mate-settings-daemon is also using about 100% CPU (all of one core). It leaks memory as described. Killing it released the memory but the process respawns and starts leaking memory and using 100% CPU again. Does yours use 100% CPU too?
I have not noticed excessive CPU usage on my system.
DarkNova

Post by DarkNova »

I noticed that the file .xsession-errors in my home directory was being filled with tons of lines of:

(mate-settings-daemon:4602): dconf-CRITICAL **: unable to create file '/run/user/1000/dconf/user': Permission denied.  dconf will not work properly.
every second. I looked at the file /run/user/1000/dconf/user and it was set to have root permissions. I deleted the file, killed mate-settings-daemon, and now, when it respawned, it recreated that file as my user name, and now it doesn't seem to be using much CPU or memory. Not 100% sure it won't come back, or why it happened in the first place, but I'd be interested if you gave that a try and it fixed yours, it might give a clue to the MATE people.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

DarkNova wrote:but I'd be interested if you gave that a try and it fixed yours, it might give a clue to the MATE people.
It won't give them a clue unless you write something on github as I suggested above. They don't read this forum.
HEXYEBO

Post by HEXYEBO »

I checked my ~/.xsession-errors and found multiple references to /run/user/1000/dconf/user file as well.
I then re-traced the upgrade steps and realized I missed one:

sudo apt-get remove --purge software-properties-gtk mint-debian-mirrors
After running that and rebooting mate-settings-daemon behavior and memory usage are back to normal.

@DarkNova
Can you check if you still have these packages installed on your system?

HEX.
DarkNova

Post by DarkNova »

HEXYEBO wrote:I checked my ~/.xsession-errors and found multiple references to /run/user/1000/dconf/user file as well.
I then re-traced the upgrade steps and realized I missed one:

sudo apt-get remove --purge software-properties-gtk mint-debian-mirrors
After running that and rebooting mate-settings-daemon behavior and memory usage are back to normal.

@DarkNova
Can you check if you still have these packages installed on your system?

HEX.
That's interesting that doing that fixed yours, but I had previously removed those packages from my system.
j1mw3b
Level 1
Level 1

Post by j1mw3b »

I am also getting this issue after update 8 on my LMDE system
I did the "sudo apt-get remove --purge software-properties-gtk mint-debian-mirrors" before the upgrade and just did again and they are NOT installed.
Also followed all the other pre-reqs before installing.

Have to do a kill -9 to stop it, but as in other posts, it respawns. System becomes unusable.

Also, my laptop (Lenovo T520) no longer hibernates when I close the lid. Just locks the screen. It does hibernate with the "hibernate" command, but seems a bit odd in it's resume - bit different than before the update 8
I think, but will have to prove later, that the mate-settings-daemon issue occurs after resume from the command hibernation.

Did the Cinnamon guys do this to make us Mate users switch over??? :-)

Glad I did not update my server....

Jim W.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

j1mw3b wrote:Did the Cinnamon guys do this to make us Mate users switch over??? :-)
The problem is not in mate-settings-daemon itself, it's a bug in systemd that sets the wrong permissions for /run/user/1000/dconf, as stated in the previous posts. This issue makes various apps crash or eat 100% CPU.
The recent systemd updates should've fixed that. Make sure you've applied all the updates.
j1mw3b
Level 1
Level 1

Post by j1mw3b »

I had noted some other comments in other Google forums about disabling (dconf-editor) org.mate.settings-daemonplugins.keyboard (and a11y.keyboard) and that seemed to fix the mate-settings-daemon issue.
I have reactivated them now and an now installing the latest updates - including systemd - so will see how that goes,

Bigger issue right now is why my lid close does not hibernate, but pm-hibernate works fine. I see "lid closed" in dmesg, but apparently something is not getting triggered by that event.

Also see there is a new /etc/init.d/acpi/acpi-support and acpi-fakekey that was not in my system before update 8.
And a whole bunch of new files in /etc/acpi that was not there before.

Do the developers ever supply a more technical explanation of what and why things were changed?
Having been a software developer, we didn't do this, but with open source, maybe???

Thanks,

Jim
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Thread hijacking is not encouraged. Different problems should go in different threads.
j1mw3b
Level 1
Level 1

Post by j1mw3b »

Ok. forgot,

Jim
Hansl
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Hansl »

I got that cpu hog / memory leak problem too / again:
I installed some days ago a new machine with LMDE x64 Mate 2014-03RC (sorry, was impatient :D ) and pulled all the updates since — so it should be current, isn't it?
I switched to systemd 204-5linuxmint1 by installing systemd-sysv (which removes sysvinit), then downgraded and pinned mate-power-manager to 1.6.2-1+lmde (see Clem ).
But still /run/user/1000/dconf/user is owned by root so that many apps in the Mate Control Center do not work and eat 200% CPU and gigs of RAM until killed.

What am I missing now?
baptman

Mate Setting Deamon

Post by baptman »

Hello,
I have a problem with Deamon Mate Setting takes 6GB of resources or more, I do not think this is normal, so if you have a solution or tell me why it takes so many resources thank you to answer me, this process often does not respond not. I regularly kill this process

I'm LDME 201403

En français,
J'ai un problème avec Mate Setting Deamon qui prend 6go de ressources voire plus, je ne pense pas que ce soit normale, donc si vous avez une solution ou me dire pourquoi ça prend autant de ressources merci de me répondre, souvent ce processus ne répond pas, je suis obliger de tuer ce processus car je ne peux plus rien faire.
Je suis sur LDME 201403
Last edited by Pilosopong Tasyo on Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: French translation from the same member merged with original post.
dclement

Re: Mate Setting Deamon

Post by dclement »

Hi,

Not the 1st time I hear about this Matt Damon :-)

More seriously, it's being discussed in this thread.
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »