Installing an ".RPM" package?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ambertone
Level 3
Level 3

Installing an ".RPM" package?

Post by ambertone »

Hi all, I have a downloaded program I need to install. How do I install an RPM? package file on a Debian dased distro, not Redhat?

Cheers

Rod
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richard
Level 1
Level 1

Installing an ".RPM package?"

Post by richard »

Load kpackage onto your computer with synaptic or install it from the control center (one of the many software packages you can install). Run kpackage and direct it to your rpm file. You'll have to be in 'root' mode and or type in your 'root' password. If the the package installs properly you will get a '0' as a final output
on the screen. If you get a '1' you have problems with dependency files that the rpm file needs in order to set up and install properly.

Rich
ambertone
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ambertone »

OK, dumb question, how do I code "alien <filename>.rpm" from the directory the RPM is in and not from a terminal screen?

Rod
ambertone
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ambertone »

Hi there, tried kpackage and got a heap of missing dependencies. What you do in this case?

Cheers

Rod
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Installing an ".RPM" package?

Post by scorp123 »

ambertone wrote:Hi all, I have a downloaded program I need to install. How do I install an RPM? package file on a Debian dased distro, not Redhat?
What program is that?? For most programs there should be *.deb packages, IMHO. Can you please tell us more?
ambertone
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ambertone »

Hi there, trying to install Limewire Pro. I have the paid version.

Rod
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

ambertone wrote:Hi there, trying to install Limewire Pro. I have the paid version.
I almost suspected that. Why oh why don't you take the tar.gz or the *.deb version if one is available?? It's way easier! Besides: The free FrostWire has all the features of LimeWire Pro, except that it is free and costs zipp :wink: It's safe to say you paid money for nothing. :?
ambertone
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ambertone »

I bought it a long time ago when using Windows and just always kept a copy for Linux just in case. I do know about Frostwire and will have ago with it.

Cheers

Rod
ambertone
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ambertone »

Installed Frostwire with no problems but nothing happens when I click the icon, doesn't run. Back to square one.

Rod
ambertone
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ambertone »

Thanks for that, I'll do some reading. It's not that it opens and does not connect it simply does not open at all. Clicking the icon does nothing and I notice the icon is not the Frostwire icon but some default thing.

Rod
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

ambertone wrote:Thanks for that, I'll do some reading. It's not that it opens and does not connect it simply does not open at all. Clicking the icon does nothing and I notice the icon is not the Frostwire icon but some default thing.
And just in case you use Beryl too ...
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 2145&#2145

Return to “Other topics”