[SOLVED] MDM and session languages out of sync

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
dclement

[SOLVED] MDM and session languages out of sync

Post by dclement »

Hello

It's a funny issue I'm having on this laptop. I changed the (physical) keyboard from French to US (much more convenient for parentheses, brackets, everything you need in math software...). I then changed my session keyboard settings. But it "forgot" the login manager: it's still using French keyboard settings. I must type at logon as if it was still AZERTY.

Wonder where MDM takes its keyboard settings from...

It's LMDE from 2013 ISO, so Mate is there, but the main desktop is XFCE.

TIA for any advice - BR, Daniel
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Re: MDM and session languages out of sync

Post by GeneBenson »

Hi dclement,

Perhaps this will help. Just one thing though. Preface the commands with sudo.

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration
Hope this helps. :D
dclement

Re: MDM and session languages out of sync

Post by dclement »

Thanks GeneBenson, that did the trick.

As soon as I started the dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration command, I saw that something was wrong in the /etc/default/keyboard file, and I was able to fix it. After a restart, everything was back to normal.

Well, the new MDM behavior partly took care of it; the username is no longer to be typed. Trouble was, my password had one character that is at a different place between FR and US layouts -- though I won't tell you which one :-)

Marking as solved.
Zalbor

Re: [SOLVED] MDM and session languages out of sync

Post by Zalbor »

Last time I used GDM it used to have a button through which you could change the locale. Did this get removed from GDM after some point, or is there an MDM-specific reason it's not there?
dclement

Re: [SOLVED] MDM and session languages out of sync

Post by dclement »

No, the button is still there. I've tried this before, it did not what I expected.

Its effect is to change the locale for the whole session. That is, every program becomes localized according to the language chosen in MDM. I did not want that: I prefer the US layout, but I'd like my programs, menus, dialogs to remain in French.

Moreover, this language setting doesn't apply to MDM itself (at least what you type in the login/password boxes), so it's not what I was looking for.

Return to “LMDE Archive”