Linux Mint 5 Elyssa RC2 (BETA 048) is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
Husse

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa RC2 (BETA 048) is out!

Post by Husse »

personally, I install all levels of updates 1 thru 5 including kernel updates.
Which may get you in trouble sooner than you think - see this topic
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 17&t=13108
One computer just fine - another definitely lost wifi....
Which may be possible to get back after a lot of fiddling around
un2him

Post by un2him »

I just downloaded and installed what looks like the final mint 5. So far so good!
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deadguy »

Husse wrote:
personally, I install all levels of updates 1 thru 5 including kernel updates.
Which may get you in trouble sooner than you think - see this topic
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 17&t=13108
One computer just fine - another definitely lost wifi....
Which may be possible to get back after a lot of fiddling around

that's the thing with me....
I like fiddling around :D

but, your absolutely right Husse to tell folks to use caution,
especially if they don't like fixing problems that could arise....
I should have wrote it like this:
deadguy should have wrote:personally, I install all levels of updates 1 thru 5 including kernel updates but,I do so at my own risk!!
that is why Clem came up with this great tool called Mint update, so people know the risk factor involved with certain updates :D

and, if you do upgrade your kernel, you can always boot to the older kernel as well...

on my machine I had no problems at all but I don't have wifi :wink:
some day I'll get a laptop but it's the $$$ thing :cry:

anyway,
thanks for keeping my statements in check :oops:

cheers,

Deadguy
Last edited by deadguy on Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hotweiss

Post by hotweiss »

This is still broken in the final:

- open terminal
- type: sudo gconf-editor
- navigate to /apps/gnome-power-manager/locks
- disable lock_on_hibernate
- disable lock_on_suspend

Disabling those locks has no effect.
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

Wow, downloading it at 450Kb/s :shock:
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

After installing Elyssa Stable I was careful when doing updates, and tried to skip any Gnome level 3 updates, but somehow still broke the wallpaper changer. So I said the hell with it and installed the rest of the updates. Then I started wondering how to fix it. This brings me to deadguy's post.

Thanks deadguy for the tip. I did exactly as you, and enabled the backports and proposed repositories. I then ran "sudo apt-get update", and "sudo apt-get upgrade". After words "sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list" once again to disable the backports and proposed repositories.

This absolutely fixed the wallpaper issue on my box. I can now change them as normal, and my CPU meter isn't spiking anymore when I have the "background" tab open. Be advised though if you choose to do this that there are about 75 or 80 packages that are going to upgrade. I have yet to see if anything else is now broken as a result. There were a ton of Gnome packages which upgraded, but I also noticed Open Office and a lot of other stuff. Time will tell if this was a mistake or not.

Edit: Just out of curiosity I just went into the Gnome Menu and clicked on "About Gnome". It now shows a build date of 6/3/2008. I don't know if that's American or British format. If it's American it's only 4 days old, and I'm pretty sure it is, because I looked at this same date after my initial install yesterday, and I think it was something like 5/30/2008.
simplicissimus

Post by simplicissimus »

Lantesh wrote:After installing Elyssa Stable [...]
CatastrophicToad wrote:Has anyone else had problems with the shutdown menu in LM5 final?
Why do you think that this version is the final and stable version?
I do not see any official informations or confirmations ... :?
rcdeacon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rcdeacon »

As anxious as I am, I am still waiting. Hopefully tomorrow!
Neither is there in any other: for there is no other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved. Acts 4:12.
Dell Dimension 4600, 1g, Nvidia 5500, Mint 4.0, Mepis 7.0, XP
Acer Aspire 5002 WLMi, 1g, Sis 760, Mint 4.0
bwjpg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bwjpg »

Nonstopdrivel wrote:If I remove xforcevesa from the Linux Mint Compatibility Mode, I don't get the Out of Range error, but then I end up with the same nonfunctional Gnome login screen as before. I've burned a few different ISOs at very low speed; they've all given me the same problem.

I should add that with xforcevesa, the Out of Range error occurred immediately after the CUPS daemon was loaded, not after the hardware abstraction layer daemon as I stated previously.

If I could get my Dynex Wireless G USB adapter to work in Mint4, I would be content to stay there on that PC, but the documentation is so spotty that I can't seem to get anywhere with it. Even after I install the driver using Windows Wireless Drivers, the wireless connection never shows up in my Network Connections menu for me to configure. Very frustrating.
I have precisely the same issue. I burned Beta 048 along with Ubuntu Hardy Heron, Mandriva Spring 08 and Open Solaris on my brothers Core 2 (Intel integrated graphics) system - he has a really fast internet connection. Tried all the live CDs on his computer they all worked without a hitch apart from Open Solaris. Particularly pleased with how Beta 048 ran I want this OS.

Went home to my Athlon 64 system (Integrated ATI graphics) on my system Open Solaris and Mandriva worked fine but Ubuntu and Beta 048 both fell over the exact same way as described by Nonstopdrivel (looping log in screen, corrupted blank screen when you quit out - hey at least it lets you quit out).

I initially thought it was a dodgy CD-R issue so I tried again but identical issue arose with careful recordings on different media. Also thinking about it four different discs all randomly fouling up with an identical error doesn't strike me as being likely.

I've still got Bianca installed and realise that I really should upgrade but this issue has me stumped.

Forget about telling me the solution I'd be happy if someone told me what my actual problem was.

What could the issue be?
:?:
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I have an odd problem, some apple movie trailers play and some say that I need a newer version of quicktime. Anyone know how to correct this?
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

ed@Mint wrote:Elyssa final is not available yet
It has not been announced officially, it is still about to change because it is still under testing.
simplicissimus wrote:Why do you think that this version is the final and stable version?
I do not see any official informations or confirmations ... :?
Well guys unless Clem changed his mind this "http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/5/" is the final version. I guess we'll find out tomorrow. The reason I decided to jump the gun and install is because I had time Friday night, so I thought oh what the hell, why not.

Clem's own words:
clem wrote:OK. I know for sure the release won't happen until Sunday, at the earliest (because we're still in the process of validating the Light Edition and finalizing the Software Portal and getting a few other things ready) but I got confirmation from Exploder: The ISO you're looking at is the one that will be released. It's stable.

Again, enjoy it... but don't spread the news too much. I like to think of a release as an event which brings not only the ISO to people, but the full release notes, upgrade instructions, user guide, known issues, light ISO, software portal and associated services. Things have to be fully ready so people get the right first impression. So enjoy the ISO silently, and let me surprise everybody when the time is right.

Not that I'm hiding anything but there's no need to make more noise about this than this topic already does ;)

Have a good week-end everyone and see you on Release Day ;)

Clem.
Oh and Clem I hope you aren't mad about me quoting you. I figured it was already in the other thread anyway, and not like it was hidden.
piratesmack

Post by piratesmack »

ed@Mint wrote:Don't expect much help with this version.
Elyssa final is not available yet
It has not been announced officially, it is still about to change because it is still under testing.
You should all have waited for the official release, the system you are using is still considered a beta so, use it at your own risks.

Edit:
looks like Lantesh already explained it
kayakaholic

Post by kayakaholic »

Has anyone else found that the B or REISUB doesn't work? I have to use O then boot up again.
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

Downloaded the LinuxMint-5.iso and md5sum checked out. Booted my laptop with it but the installer failed to run, first ever time I have had a problem trying to install any version of Mint. Confused! :shock:
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

Husse wrote:@ Tim
Haven't seen you in a while
Welcome back
Thanks. Been busy on other forums and haven't checked in here in a while. Well, that and I got a PS3...

I'm really impressed with Elyssa. Wasn't really feeling Daryna because Gutsy didn't get along with my hardware. Elyssa seems to be running really well, except for that sound issue. I did get that working, but I don't know why it works now. I changed the device from Automatic to ALSA, and the sound worked, but it was really distorted, so I changed it back to Automatic, and then it worked properly. ??? Odd, but that seems to be the fix because I installed the "secret" stable version and the exact same thing happened.

Only issue now is the wallpaper thing. I found the Background changer does work if you use the cursor keys instead of clicking on the picture with the mouse.

Running the ATI restricted drivers from the repos now and they seem to be working fine. With Beta 048 I used Envy to install, and that worked fine too.

It was particularly cool that Elyssa automatically found and installed my Canon MP500 printer. That's a first for any distro I have tried.

Nice work everyone! I'm going to run Elyssa from my test partition for a week or so and if all goes well I may be leaving Celena for a younger woman. ;)
piratesmack

Post by piratesmack »

Lolo Uila wrote: Only issue now is the wallpaper thing. I found the Background changer does work if you use the cursor keys instead of clicking on the picture with the mouse.

The wallpaper bug is cause by a gnome update.

All I did was just go into Mint Update preferences and disabled level 3 updates, and everything works fine.

Level 3 updates haven't been tested, so it's probably a good idea to disable them anyway
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

Mintmenu gives an error when trying to open the package manager on the left pane, or in the Administrator section. I get an error window that says:

Code: Select all

Could not grab your mouse. A malicious client may be eavesdropping on your session or you may have just clicked a menu or some application just decided to get focus.

Try again.

EDIT: This is the latest version from http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/5/ , not beta 048.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

Jadephyre wrote:When that Version that is currently considered "Final" is really what we are getting this time around then i see Mint spiraling down the same drain as Hardy.
Such a shame, such a waste...
Well if it makes you feel any more confident my system is running pretty good on the new build. As I mentioned in my last post I temporarily enabled the proposed and backports repos, and updated Gnome. This has seemed to fix a lot of issues I was having, including the known wallpaper and Flash issues.
Husse

Post by Husse »

There is no need to use Elyssa - try Daryna if Elyssa betrays you
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

Jadephyre wrote:This is definately a showstopper for me, and if this doesn't change, i have to go back to Windows XP or (heaven forbid) Vista because i'm not geeky enough to compile my own software to get the latest and greatest.
Husse wrote:There is no need to use Elyssa - try Daryna if Elyssa betrays you
I was going to say the same this as Husse. You certainly can skip Elyssa, and simply wait for Mint 6. Just stick with Daryna for another 6 months. It's not like Daryna is suddenly obsolete, and it's certainly newer than Windows XP. If you do head back to Windows though I'd highly suggest sticking with XP. That DRM infested joke of an operating system known as Vista makes my skin crawl.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”