Solved: Several questions/issues

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Several questions/issues

Post by 67GTA »

Welcome to Linux Mint. This version of Mint is still in development, so try to keep that in mind.

5. There is a bug in Gnome pertaining to this, so the sound settings method doesn't work. You will have to blacklist your PC speaker module. After installing, open a terminal window, and run

Code: Select all

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
then add

blacklist pcspkr
to the end of the file.

4. This is supposed to be fixed in the final version.

3.This is supposed to be fixed also.

2. Not sure. Most distros are switching to Pulseaudio, so I am lost now. Alsa isn't used by default. Try switching to pulseaudio in the sound settings.

1. Run

nvidia-settings
as root. Set your desired settings, and select the "Save to X configuration file" button. This will merge the settings into the xorg.conf file. The newest version of xorg is still a little shaky. It attempts to auto configure your settings now at each boot. Xorg.conf is basically a reference file now. You can even boot without one.

I ran across this page a few days back while searching for something else. It will answer your last two questions. Just search for "Global Hotkeys" and "Dock Window". Avant is already in the repos. http://priyank.co.in/readarticle.php?article_id=18
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

The new xorg has auto detection built in. There is no way to turn it off. It will get better as more work is done to it. Since you are using the nvidia driver, the nvidia-settings tool is the easiest way to make the res/refresh rates stick. I am completely lost with pulseaudio. I haven't learned to configure it yet. I have been used to configuring alsa. You might get some better help with it if you make a separate post in the hardware section. Someone will know more than I do about it. The deskbar window moving is weird. Do you have compizconfig-settings-manager installed? There are several window related options there to set window positions, etc. You might try playing with that. Compiz can cause all sorts of things to go haywire.
P.S. I know that it's only a RC but working with this distro has been a real pleasure so far anyway. These are minor quibbles that don't make the OS unstable or unusable in any way. Basically one of the criteria I judged all the distros by was how little (or how much) configuration they require. Not because I couldn't ask or figure out how to configure them but because it just goes to show how much thought and work has been put into relieving clueless users of major pains. ^^
That is one of Clems goals. Make Mint more user friendly.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

Now that I think about it, there was a bug with the nvidia driver that makes the refresh rate be incorrectly reported. It may still be hanging around. You can add

Option "TwinView" "False"
to the "Device" section of xorg.conf to make X report this correctly after a reboot. My 19" monitor refresh rate was reported as 50 until I added this to xorg.conf.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

Yep, that's it. It works for me. That is weird. You can try setting it with xrandr. The new xorg is fed the info it needs by dbus and hal, and xrandr at each boot. Xrandr detects and sets the monitor info. Just run

xrandr
in aterminal to see what your current settings are. Run

xrandr -help
for options. Try

xrandr --refresh 75
. That might force it at each boot.
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

Lim-Dul wrote:4. The LiveCD usplash was working perfectly - I checked the parameters on my monitor and it was running in 1280x1024 mode. However, after I installed NVIDIA drivers I get a black border around the loading screen - it is centered and the screen is running at 1280x1024 but the image itself is too small. I tried editing usplash.conf (which appeared to be setup correctly) and running update-initramfs -u but that didn't help. Lowering the resolution only made usplash move to the upper left corner... Adding the vga=795 parameter in grub.conf only made the text-mode boot sequence display correctly. :-(
Try changing the virtual resolution setting in xorg.conf to 1024 x 768. That's how I fixed it on my box.

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"Default Screen"
	Monitor		"Configured Monitor"
	Device		"Configured Video Device"
	Defaultdepth	24
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth	24
		Virtual	1024	768
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

Ok in getting Elyssa Stable set up I realized that my above statement was incorrect. The virtual resolution setting in xorg.conf only changes the logon screen res. To change the res on the Mint progress bar screen install the program "startupmanager". It's a GUI, and it has a res setting that effects this boot screen. I changed mine to 1024 x 768, and the black borders are gone. It looks much better.
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

Lim-Dul, I'm glad to hear startupmanager worked for you. I can see your point about Vista being paid for, and if you need it for your job then you need it. Given time, maybe five years, I think you will see Linux's market share grow significantly. If it gets upwards of 15% then developers will certainly take notice. That's when things will get interesting.

Return to “Beginner Questions”