x-caja-desktop - disable or remove[SOLVED]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tonkycat

x-caja-desktop - disable or remove[SOLVED]

Post by tonkycat »

x-caja-desktop is launching itself multiple times. I have no use for this product. How do I go about either disabling it or just removing it? I have been looking all over to see where it gets defined and have been unsuccessful in my hunt.

If I do uninstall it, do I need to replace it with something else and if so what?

Thank you,
V J
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
grizzler

Re: x-caja-desktop - disable or remove

Post by grizzler »

tonkycat wrote:x-caja-desktop is launching itself multiple times. I have no use for this product. How do I go about either disabling it or just removing it? I have been looking all over to see where it gets defined and have been unsuccessful in my hunt.
A google (startpage.com, actually) search for x-caja-desktop produced this as first result: https://github.com/mate-desktop/mate-se ... /issues/19

Looks like it's being worked on. I saw this too, the first time I logged in after installing MATE. However, it hasn't happened since.
tonkycat

Post by tonkycat »

I also found where is being worked on. But, the bottom line is that I have no use for it. Will it hurt to just uninstall it?
I have one remote login that keeps running it and locking up the computer.

Thank you,
V J

grizzler wrote:
tonkycat wrote:x-caja-desktop is launching itself multiple times. I have no use for this product. How do I go about either disabling it or just removing it? I have been looking all over to see where it gets defined and have been unsuccessful in my hunt.
A google (startpage.com, actually) search for x-caja-desktop produced this as first result: https://github.com/mate-desktop/mate-se ... /issues/19

Looks like it's being worked on. I saw this too, the first time I logged in after installing MATE. However, it hasn't happened since.
grizzler

Post by grizzler »

Uninstalling caja isn't really an option, but the github thread offers a workaround (the entry dated 27 January 2013, by bhull2010).
tonkycat

Post by tonkycat »

Thank you. I saw the work around and it seemed like a complicated solution to just turn something off. But I will attempt the work around. If it doesn't solve my problem, I guess I can just convert to cinnamon.

Thank you,
V J
tonkycat

Post by tonkycat »

grizzler wrote:Uninstalling caja isn't really an option, but the github thread offers a workaround (the entry dated 27 January 2013, by bhull2010).
Thank you again. I installed the work around on three computers running Linux Mint and I haven't seen the problem again.

V J
jcoles
Level 2
Level 2

Re: x-caja-desktop - disable or remove[SOLVED]

Post by jcoles »

I found this thread through a Google search. The Linux Mint Forums search function (http://forums.linuxmint.com/search.php) returned, "No posts were found because the word x-caja-desktop is not contained in any post." But here we are, looking at several posts on this topic. So let's not criticize people who post about already-covered issues. The search function is really poor!

The absurd opening of multiple x-caja-desktop windows at start-up happens only occasionally to me. bhull2010's solution in the linked GitHub posting looks complicated and I'm not sure how to reverse it if it should prove wrong. Has anyone actually tried this in Mint 16 MATE (64-bit) with 3.11.0-12 kernel and can vouch that it is safe? Notably, nothing in the recommended config file changes specifies "x-caja-desktop", only caja and caja-desktop.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Just for reference - there's a second issue on github that also contains a few workarounds.
djeverest

Post by djeverest »

In fact, reinstalling caja and even the entire mate desktop worked for me. I first tried the options mentioned before, except for the github thing wich i think is very dificult for me, an inexpert user.

My original installation was Mint 16 Mate, but recently installed other Desktops like KDE and Xfce, so maybe the problem originated from the installation of them. I set up Xfce as my default DE with autologin and everything was ok until yesterday when i tried to login with Mate and a lot of X-caja-desktop windows popped up.

I've read other posts but nothing worked, and to tell the true i don't understand that thing from github so i decided to try the "reinstall" approach and IT WORKED, HA !! :mrgreen:

What i did was to login with Xfce and there i opened the software manager and uninstalled caja and caja-commons, then i logged out and tried to login with MATE, but it suddenly dissapeared from the menu of desktops in the MDM login screen. So i returned to xfce and again in the software manager i uninstalled the entire mate-desktop. I rebooted the system just to feel sure that everything worked right (sorry i come from windows) and then i (re)installed mate-desktop again in the software manager and also caja and caja-commons.

Then i re-logged with Mate and Voila !! my entire desktop as i left was there !! NICE :mrgreen:

I didn't lose any icons or files i left in the desktop, everything was there, my entire configuration was intact, except for two duplicated icons: my home folder icon and system icon.

I think this is a different aproach from the other ones in this post, but i hope the users who encounter this problem could fix it with this "reinstall" solution, without having to enter lines of code or knowing where is this or that thing. Greetings.

Return to “MATE”