Linux Mint 16: The best Linux ever out!

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BlackVeils

Re: Linux Mint 16: The best Linux ever out!

Post by BlackVeils »

the kde and xfce final versions have been released !
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

Do you still like Mint 16 guys after testing it :D I still love it :D
mintyMintUser

Post by mintyMintUser »

Obviously you didnt use fast linux before.
Imo, Linux Mint is worst distro ever out.
I installed it and since the installation there is not a single moment without problem.
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

Excuse me for my curiosity but what problems you have? Im really eager to see what is this big problem which can occur just after the install... :lol:
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Let's not discuss that here. See mintyMintUser's other post for that: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=155792
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

I am absolutely delighted with Mint16/Cinnamon!
I am running it on an old Dell tower, just a P4 with 2GB of ram, Intel graphics and everything works great. Even Netflix streams smoothly. I started with Mint12 and every version since has run faster and more efficiently than the one before it.
But the highest praise I can give Mint16 is that the quality of this release gave me the courage to replace XP on my wife's computer and she likes Mint a lot.
Mint16 let me kick Microsoft out of my house completely and now I have an all Linux home! 8)
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
rogerb1583

Post by rogerb1583 »

+1 Kicked out Microsoft Windows a long time ago. The only thing that keeps me in the Microsoft world is some Xel files that just will not play well with others. Experimenting with LibreOffice and right now it looks like a go. So........in the near future just may retire my older O$X Apple Mac Powerbook. Linux mint Cinammon, LibreOffice,Thunderbird and <insert web browser here> just about handles everything I need on a second hand older model ThinkPad Lenovo t410 and a Dell Optiplex 755. And yes I will continue to make regular donations to the Linux Mint crew. They have done a stellar job in my opinion! :D
gird.bogdan

Post by gird.bogdan »

Best ever! Long live Linux, long live Linux Mint! ;)
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

The coming release "Linux Mint 17" will kill all the other OSes!! No more malware on your PC :lol: :lol: :lol:
lexon

Post by lexon »

The only two issues for me are poor webcam app, no sound. Linux people do not do webcams. Nevr found any easy fix.
I have an old Asus mini laptop with a Linux OS that does it very well right out of the box.
Trying to download and convert You Tube videos to MP3. Firefox with Download Helper tells me I need a help but won't specify it so I still use W7 and Media Player.
If something does not work out of the box, I don't bother messing with it. I started using Linux in 2003. Things change slowly sometimes.
I have been using a desktop PC and two different laptops with plenty of speed and RAM.

L
Linee

Post by Linee »

I have been using Linux Mint now for almost two months!!! ...Yes I'm so newbie.... Printer/scanner works. No problem. Wacom works. No problem. Mouse, Keyboard (Logitech k750) works. Sound works. Well, that one is sort of iffy, especially for those of us who like to fool around with midis ever so often. For anyone who might want to know, what I had do was this:

Fluidsynth with Qsynth gui installed

Using Audacious, use "ALSA input" in output settings in Audacious/Preferences
Choose Fluidsynth audio
Then go to plugins
Then to Input
Make sure AMIDI-Plug is selected
Go to preferences
in AMIDI-Plug settings in Backend selection, choose
Fluidsynth backend
btw, I have a 2008 HP with integrated Intel sound r8169, I think.

Otherwise, Linux Mint is absolutely great!!!! :D :D :D
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

I have been using Mint/Cinnamon for a bit over two years, my first Mint was 12 when Cinnamon was brand new and still wobbly as a newly born pony but even in that condition Cinnamon was pretty good, Since then the improvement has been fantastic.
What I like about Mint is the attention to detail. There is art in the engineering. Mint is the end result of so many little things done just right.
I was a Mac guy for 25 years and a strong Mac advocate back in the day but Apple drifted and got evil while my sensitivity to evil was rising so I went looking around the Linux world for an escape. After distro hoping I selected Mint and now I have what I was looking for:
Mint is a refined, production ready OS with what I believe is a GUI that has become better than anything Apple or Microsoft offer. It ain't that hard to beat MS but Apple is another matter but Clem and team did it.
An astonishing accomplishment for such a small team and goes to show that it's not money or man hours that make a great OS, it is talent spent wisely.

(Altho, money helps so donate like I have :) )
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”