I Lost My Task Bar

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JerryC58
Level 4
Level 4

I Lost My Task Bar

Post by JerryC58 »

I was trying out the xfce desktop yesterday and decided to try and remove the little task bar at the bottom. I feel it is a distraction. In the process I also lost the big task bar at the top. How do I get the top task bar back? With it's original layout? Also, how do I get rid of the little task bar at the bottom? I am not afraid to edit scripts if that is what it takes.

JC
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jahid

Re: I Lost My Task Bar

Post by jahid »

Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

To show a panel:

$ xfce4-panel

Then you can add to it and/or create a new one.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
JerryC58
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JerryC58 »

I couldn't get the two suggestions to do anything for me, so I thought if I uninstalled xfce and reinstalled it, I might get my menu bar back. I uninstalled a lot of stuff that had xfce in the name. When I try to reinstall mint-meta-xfce, it marks it red and says I have a broken package. What do I do now?

JC
jahid

Post by jahid »

search the broken package in synaptic with the help of "broken" filter and reinstall it.
JerryC58
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JerryC58 »

The broken package is mint-meta-xfce so it won't let me install it. Is there someway to replace the whole package?

JC
jahid

Post by jahid »

in the uninstalling process you might have uninstalled some of the important dependencies of mint-meta-xfce. so if it doesn't let you reinstall it then only option is to remove it (completely remove it). then install all of the packages you had uninstalled again.
JerryC58
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JerryC58 »

jahid_0903014 wrote:in the uninstalling process you might have uninstalled some of the important dependencies of mint-meta-xfce. so if it doesn't let you reinstall it then only option is to remove it (completely remove it). then install all of the packages you had uninstalled again.
This presents a problem. I agree I've uninstalled something I shouldn't have. I checked "completely remove" on everything so it wouldn't remember the changes to the menu I had made. Now for the confusion. Since I think I have already completely removed everything, what is it I am supposed to completely remove?

JC
jahid

Post by jahid »

try refreshing the repository list once.
JerryC58
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JerryC58 »

I tried refreshing the repository list by clicking Edit in the menu then "reload package information". Didn't help.
Also in the Edit menu, I found "Fix Broken Packages". So I marked mint-meta-xfce to install then clicked Fix Broken Packages and got the following errors:

E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.
E: Unable to correct dependencies
E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.
E: Unable to correct dependencies

Hope this helps.

JC
jahid

Post by jahid »

JerryC58 wrote:I found "Fix Broken Packages". So I marked mint-meta-xfce to install then clicked Fix Broken Packages and got the following errors:
can you apply "fix broken packages" not marking mint-meta-xfce to install. if you can then try it.
can you close synaptic and post the output of sudo apt-get update here..
JerryC58
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JerryC58 »

I only show a broken package when mint-meta-xfce is marked for install. When I run sudo apt-get update, I get:

jc@jc-Bonobo-Extreme ~ $ sudo apt-get update
[sudo] password for jc:
(process:8256): GConf-WARNING **: Client failed to connect to the D-BUS daemon:
Unable to autolaunch when setuid

(process:8256): Gtk-WARNING **: This process is currently running setuid or setgid.
This is not a supported use of GTK+. You must create a helper
program instead. For further details, see:

http://www.gtk.org/setuid.html

Refusing to initialize GTK+.
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'Error'

It doesn't allow me to input my password.

Different problem?

JC
jahid

Post by jahid »

restart your pc and run that code again. if the error is still the same then it's a peculiar case.
I have dealt with broken packages type problems in past but never seen this type of output for apt-get update.

but i will try to solve it...
Last edited by jahid on Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jahid

Post by jahid »

Hey, i was installing xfce in my pc. but in midway i had to interrupt my connection and close the synaptic. same problem i saw when i marked mint-meta-xfce for installing.
i marked the mint-meta-xfce for removal and clicked apply then synaptic fixed it (sudo apt-get is running now) for me........but i can't install mint-meta-xfce yet. when i get there i will notify you..
jahid

Post by jahid »

Finally i got there, it's solved for me now. here's the things i had to do:
1. mark the mint-meta-xfce for removal (though it is not installed): mark it for installed first (it will become red), now the option for removal is highlighted, mark for removal. it will say that some packages need to be installed or removed (for me it was 4). now click apply.
2. once it's finished. close synaptic and run

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
this time it should run without any error.
3. now open synaptic & mark mint-meta-xfce for install.

i hope it solves your problem....good luck
JerryC58
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JerryC58 »

That's not working for me. In step one, when the box is red, it won't allow me to mark any other option. I'm running Mint 15. Maybe that is a difference in Mint 16? Sorry I didn't mention that before.

The other problem is with SUDO. It won't work at all. I have seen that error before but I have no idea what got it started.

JC
JerryC58
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JerryC58 »

I discovered this afternoon I can get to a terminal window where SUDO works by doing CTRL-ALT-F1. If you think of anything that needs terminal commands, I can do them now.
jahid

Post by jahid »

if you can run sudo apt-get update once without any error, your problem will be solved. if it shows any error and that is different than the previous one, then post it here.

Return to “Beginner Questions”