Distro rankings

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: Distro rankings

Post by Husse »

Interesting read but I don't really know what conclusion to make
I moved the topic here which I think is the right place
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
eeezzzeee

Post by eeezzzeee »

I don't go to the linux mint page everyday, but I go to the distrowatch page just to get mint counted everyday. I don't even know if it does anything but I thought I read somewhere that's how the rankings are done. so I just swing by everyday for a sec just in case. :mrgreen:
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

I see a lot of stats about Mint. What I know is this:

- We don't know the size of our user base.
- We seem to have as many users as Fedora or PCLinuxOS, more than Mandriva, less than OpenSUSE and far less than Debian or Ubuntu. (thanks to distrowatch awstats for that).
- Our user base doubled with the release of Daryna.
- Our user base was slowly going down after Hardy got released and is slowly going back up since we released the Elyssa RCs.
- About 10% of our user base runs KDE CE. (thanks to a poll on the Mint Connection blog)
- About 15% of our user base runs an Elyssa RC.
- About 80% of our user base runs Daryna.
- And everything we know, we're not sure of :?

We also know the geographical repartition of the user base, the most popular screen resolutions and a few other stats...

We also know that most of the people who get to know about Mint via the Net, come through Distrowatch and Google.

But the real question everybody is wondering about is how many people run Mint... and to be honest we don't have a clue. The last time I estimated it I was looking at 7% of the Linux desktop market... and even this is a wild guess. We can see stats go up and down and get a good idea of what the trends are, but since we don't know the proportion of the user base ending up in our stats ... we really don't have a clue.

Clem
kayakaholic

Post by kayakaholic »

urr but dont those stats imply that we have a 105% user base? Or is that if people have more than one version of mint installed?
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

Can't you just see how many downloads there are from the Mint repos? If you get 1 million downloads of a certain update then you have at least 1 million users. Simple? :?
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

belovedmonster wrote:Can't you just see how many downloads there are from the Mint repos? If you get 1 million downloads of a certain update then you have at least 1 million users. Simple? :?
Unless a number of people have the same Mint installed on several computers. Or unless a number of people have reinstalled, and downloaded the update more than once.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Or downloaded and just not used it....t i
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

MALsPa wrote:
belovedmonster wrote:Can't you just see how many downloads there are from the Mint repos? If you get 1 million downloads of a certain update then you have at least 1 million users. Simple? :?
Unless a number of people have the same Mint installed on several computers. Or unless a number of people have reinstalled, and downloaded the update more than once.
Even with the above issues it is a better representation of the install base than just shrugging our shoulders and saying we have no idea.

Return to “Chat about Linux”