Mint vs Ubuntu upgrade to new version

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
voger

Mint vs Ubuntu upgrade to new version

Post by voger »

Hi, I finally got the green light to install linux to my sisters laptop. I am considering between Mint Xfce and Xubuntu. From what I read after a bit initial tweaking both can be configured to behave the same. My biggest concern is the upgrade process. The feeling is that Mint requires full format and install the new version and Ubuntu on the contrary is just enable the new version and do an apt-get dist-upgrade. I don't want to format the laptop every 9 months but still want the latest and greatest. Is there any easier way to upgrade Mint when new versions come along?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jahid

Re: Mint vs Ubuntu upgrade to new version

Post by jahid »

this might be a little risky but works fine as long as i know. You can see this for upgrading to a newer release without a fresh install.
SpookyWatcher
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SpookyWatcher »

or you can wait till Mint 17 LTS comes out in June (I think that's when). Then You'll be good till 2019.

I know it's tough to wait. Just trying to give slightly different angle on your problem.
KirbySmith

Post by KirbySmith »

Either way, back up your home directory somewhere it won't be overwritten. You can use Mint's backup feature for that as well as for saving a list of installed software. Then, if something breaks using the process described at the link above, such as the new packages don't work with the old kernel before you can update the kernel, the worst thing that happens is that you have to reinstall anyway. And the process of installing a new Mint version from scratch is very likely to take a lot less time than installing a new Windows version from scratch.

kirby
voger

Post by voger »

Hi, I decided to go with the LTS option. The important packages like Firefox, Chrome and Skype are beeing updated in their latest versions anyway so this is not a big problem. I installed Mint 13 and when version 17 comes I will find time to install it.

Return to “Beginner Questions”