installation of LMDE hangs on new computer

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
naftag

installation of LMDE hangs on new computer

Post by naftag »

Hi,

I recently purchased a new computer, h77 chipset, ivybridge i5, and use the internal graphics card. I insalled on it win7 and left some free space on the hd for linux. win7 runs w/o problems.
When trying to install LMDE 201204 64-bit it hangs every time, either while indexing files, or while copying them to the hd. I downloaded the iso twice, checked the md5, tried two different usb disks (I used unetbootin to put the image on them). Hangs means everything is stuck. the mouse, keyboard, everything. only holding the power button for 5 seconds forces the machine off.
Googling, I only came up with this. however, I don't know how to update the kernel before installation.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Naftali.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
naftag

Re: installation of LMDE hangs on new computer

Post by naftag »

Thanks for the link, but there doesn't seem to be a ubiquity-slideshow-mint package installed.
blusch

Post by blusch »

Has anybody had any luck with this? I'm attempting to install on a ThinkPad T530 and after booting into the live cd environment, going through the initial install set up, disk setup, etc., and starting the install, the OS hangs after a few minutes.

ubiquity-slideshow-mint is not installed in the livecd environment, so that's not the problem.

Any suggestions?
pavi_lmde

Post by pavi_lmde »

ubiquity-slideshow-mint is not installed in the livecd environment, so that's not the problem.
Actually the year old solution works like "Old wine in new bottle " . The package has changed . So we need to remove that blocking package and continue with the installation .

Code: Select all

#dpkg -l | grep slidehow

^ Gave me the package name as live-installer-slideshow

Remove that package and voila there is your Mint :)

My Machine details : Lennovo ThinkPad Edge E530
I installed LMDE Cinnamon from March 2013 and I have to say hatsoff to both mint and the debian team . Everything just works perfect ! Loving it :D
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Post by borgward »

LMDE 201403 installer hangs
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

try with turn off the lockscreen :3
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Post by borgward »

I ignored "try with turn off the lockscreen :3" as I wanted to if I could reproduce the problem before going further. I have not had trouble installing anything else on this machine.

Reinstalled linuxmint-201403-cinnamon-dvd-64bit.Now hanging at The system is going down for reboot. Waited 5 minutes. Opened and closed optical drive several times. Hit enter several times. Still no reboot.

Went to terminal at F2 which displayed same message. Went next to F7 which displayed 'remove disk, close drive, and hit enter'
which I had already done. I hit enter again and it began to reboot.

I am now booted to the new installation.

Dell Inspiron 1520. Pentium Dual Core. 80 GB HDD. 2GB RAM. Did the default install usingthe entire HDD.

Return to “LMDE Archive”