mint5 is out, any news about the 64bit version?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: mint5 is out, any news about the 64bit version?

Post by Husse »

Short answer no (or so I thought :))
Long answer look in the forum for the many posts about it
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

We'll start working on the 64bit edition after the Main one goes stable. I don't expect it to take too long though, probably a month between the two stable releases (mostly because we usually leave 2 weeks for the community to test any BETA release).

Clem.
Husse

Post by Husse »

BTW, I don't know what's the official way to suggest stuff,
We have a suggestions and ideas section in the forum - I think it's about the only section that's constantly read by Clem
SilentPixel

Post by SilentPixel »

Hey guys, sorry to resurrect an old thread

I was wondering if we could get an update on the possibility of a 64bit edition. I'm currently using Ubuntu 8.04 64bit and I require 64bit, but I'd really like to return to using Mint.

Thanks
SilentPixel
Husse

Post by Husse »

Hard to say exactly, but in a couple of months time
AkiraXXX

Post by AkiraXXX »

I, for one, think this would be the ultimate edition.

You can still use 32-bit apps for the majority of situations where the speed difference would be negligible.
But, you have the advantage of using 64-bit apps when it matters. This is win/win. If you could deliver a
64-bit Mint with all the features of the 32-bit version plus the extras, it would be beyond wonderful.
64-bit VMware and 64-bit video processing are making my trousers taut. ;)
kayakaholic

Post by kayakaholic »

Well I found out today my pentium 4 is a 64bit one so It would be interesting to see if a 64bit os makes that much difference. Im currently downloading Fedora 9 in 64bit to have a moosey around anyway!

Return to “Beginner Questions”