Linux Mint 17 release date?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
simplex

Linux Mint 17 release date?

Post by simplex »

Though I have been googling around for an hour now, I could not find any statement about the release date of Mint 17, Even on linuxmint.com, I have browsed through every subpage that could be related to my question, but I could not find anything. I think there should be at least a "roadmap" on linuxmint.com. Or am I just too stupid to find it?

Greetings,
S.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Linux Mint 17 release date?

Post by Bolle1961 »

simplex wrote:Or am I just too stupid to find it?
No your not.
Cinnamon and MATE versions are mostly released within a month of the ubuntu release it is based on.
KDE and Xfce mostly an other month later.
nomko

Post by nomko »

In addition to above:

Mint 17 is based on Ubuntu 14.04. The numbering of Ubuntu is a combination of year and month. So in this case 14.04 means year 2014, month april (4th month of the year). When Ubuntu is released, the Mint needs a bit time to implement and adjust 1 or 2 things before releasing their latest Mint version (= Mint 17). This normally takes about 1 month as said in the previous post for Cinnamon and Mate version and approx. 2 months for the KDE and Xfce version:
- Mint 17 Cinnamon/Mate: end may 2014
- Mint 17 KDE/Xfce: end june 2014
Last edited by nomko on Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

nomko wrote:Mint 17 is based on Ubuntu 14.10.
On 14.04 LTS.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Correcting nomko's mixup above, the expected release dates for Linux Mint 17 are:
- Mint 17 Cinnamon/Mate: around May 2014
- Mint 17 KDE/Xfce: around June 2014

Linux Mint is released "when ready", which means the above is a rough indication. Subscribe to the RSS feed on the blog at http://blog.linuxmint.com/, or to a clone of that on your favorite social website, to keep up to date on the latest news. Ahead of the final release a release candidate will be made available for public testing. Generally the final release is two weeks afterwards. So once you see the release candidate, so can start a tentative countdown :wink:
nomko

Post by nomko »

corrected my error, see bold letters. I mixed up 14.04 and 14.10 :oops:
Mal_Hil

Post by Mal_Hil »

I'm assuming that once the update is available on the servers - we get an indication the next time we boot up LM - and/or the tick on the bottom right task bar changes to something other than the tick??

I'm very new to LM ( used mandrake quite a few years ago and didnt feel it was ready for my needs then ) and I'm really enjoying using LM - thanks for all the hard work.
adfd1

Post by adfd1 »

Mal_Hil wrote:I'm assuming that once the update is available on the servers - we get an indication the next time we boot up LM - and/or the tick on the bottom right task bar changes to something other than the tick??
Good question. I'd like to know the answer to that myself.

-AD
konjad

Post by konjad »

Mal_Hil wrote:I'm assuming that once the update is available on the servers - we get an indication the next time we boot up LM - and/or the tick on the bottom right task bar changes to something other than the tick??

I'm very new to LM ( used mandrake quite a few years ago and didnt feel it was ready for my needs then ) and I'm really enjoying using LM - thanks for all the hard work.
No, Linux Mint 17 is not an update to LM16 (not a direct one at least), so you get no notification in the OS itself. Just check out the main page of linuxmint.com from time to time. Before final release, there will be a few Release Candidates first.
Mal_Hil

Post by Mal_Hil »

konjad wrote: No, Linux Mint 17 is not an update to LM16 (not a direct one at least), so you get no notification in the OS itself. Just check out the main page of linuxmint.com from time to time. Before final release, there will be a few Release Candidates first.
Thank you - Of course I will keep an eye out on the LM site and of course here. I look forward to it - as I have already tried Ubuntu 14.04 and like many aspects of it - except for the desktop - I much prefer Cinnamon that LM uses. will LM use the latest build of Ubunto 14.04 - such as 14.04.01 - I would assume the Ubuntu will be patching it in the next month to hopefully clear up some more bugs - which I already see folk talking about on the ubuntu forum .
bvn

Post by bvn »

Any estimation as to when an OEM version of LM 17 (Cinnamon) would be available?
konjad

Post by konjad »

bvn wrote:Any estimation as to when an OEM version of LM 17 (Cinnamon) would be available?
You can already download RC, it's posted on both forums and the main page. How can one even miss this stuff out?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

@bvn: OEM version will likely be made available in the weeks following the final release. It might be done only after Linux Mint 17 KDE and Xfce final have also been released.

@konjad: OEM ≠ RC :wink: OEM is the edition meant for individuals and companies pre-loading Linux Mint on computers for others. Different from the regular edition is that account creation and setup is postponed till first boot. So it is installed without a user account, and the user upon first boot is prompted to create their user account.

As always, it will be released when ready. You can subscribe to the blog where it will be announced when released (or follow on twitter, facebook, or google+).
Opi-Senpai

Post by Opi-Senpai »

So what about the final version? Will it be released before the end of the month? (I mean NOT RC, but final)
I have Nvidia Optimus on my laptop and apparently RC doesn't work on it yet, so I am waiting for this bug to be fixed. I have started using Mint after trying out a couple other distros (starting around February) and I have completely fallen in love with this distro. I can't wait for the LTS version.
Also, thanks to Linux (specially Mint) I have learnt SO MUCH since switching from Windows.
Keep up the good work!!
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Opi-Senpai wrote:I have Nvidia Optimus on my laptop and apparently RC doesn't work on it yet, so I am waiting for this bug to be fixed.
It should be fixed by now. If it still doesn't work for you, join IRC (irc.spotchat.org, #linuxmint-dev) and report the issue to Clem.
Opi-Senpai

Post by Opi-Senpai »

Thanks for the info!! Just a quick offtopic question. I'm not sure how the situation is right now with the whole Optimus support in general. Will we at any point get drivers that support Optimus well? Somthing like Bumblee + primusrun, but natively?
TYVM!
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Linux Mint 17 has Optimus support. Not using Bumblebee, but Prime. Earlier issues in the RC have been fixed with help of Optimus users that joined the developers in #linuxmint-dev (as asked on the blog) and did some tests for them to narrow down on the problems the RC had on Optimus. (As the developers don't have every imaginable configuration of hardware...)
Opi-Senpai

Post by Opi-Senpai »

That's great news!! Is there (or will there be) some sort of guide or tutorial on how to set it up and use it? Will we manually choose which apps will run with the dedicated graphics card or will Prime choose automatically?
Dupo

Post by Dupo »

Hi,

I tested Optimus with the packages that the Mint Team gave. It works. :D
But in Nvidia-Settings, I don't have X Server Color Correction and X Server Xvideo settings options. I need the first option to configure the brightness, the contrast, and the gamma of my laptop screen with my nvidia card. I would like to install the official nvidia driver (331.79) from the nvidia website, but I don't know if this driver can work with the nvidia-prime and with the Mdm packages of the Mint Team ?

Thanks in advance if you can give me an answer.
akya

Post by akya »

Qiana Cinnamon Edition amd64 (build #201405261258) 98.33% tested
Can't be too long now for the release \m/

Edit: clem Qiana Cinnamon Edition amd64 (build #201405300034) Approved for Stable release !!

Return to “Non-technical Questions”