Wireless driver for Mint 14 on an HP Mini 110 Netbook

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ruddy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ruddy »

Postby ruddy on Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:25 pm
I've successfully installed Mint 11 on a Dell laptop and Mint 11, 12 & 13 Mate on a Lenovo IdeaPad laptop, and I never had any problems connecting via the wireless interface. I just installed Mint 14 Mate on my wife's HP Mini 110 netbook, and it does not see the builtin wireless card. I did connect to my network via the ethernet port and installed all of the updates, but this did not make any difference. Neither did installing the Broadcom drivers I found using Software Manager. This is my first attempt at installing Mint on this computer, and since it wiped out the existing Windows 7 Starter OS, I'm now committed to getting Linux to work.

Will an earlier version of Mint work? Are drivers available for Linux? Is NDIS Wrapper with a Windows driver my only recourse? Any suggestions?

BTW, Mint 14 Mate appears to work quite well on this netbook with 2GB of RAM. Thanks.
DartrhAndy

Re: Wireless driver for Mint 14 on an HP Mini 110 Netbook

Post by DartrhAndy »

Hi,

I believe i had the same problem.The thing is that propietary drivers dnt come with the installation, for some law blabla pretty much someone wants a profit somewhere i guess, anyway.....
1) click on control center from the menu button.
2) go to Other (last option)
3) There Ull see Software Sources click on it...
4)Click on Additional Drivers (Top right last tab)
5)Select using Broadcom 802.11 Linux STA wireless driver source from bcmwl blabla
6) Enter, let it do his thing and voilà
7) Enjoy and look up in you tube The summerian scripts documentary Very Interesting....
8) God Bless.

Peace!!! (drops mic)
ruddy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ruddy »

Thank you, DartrhAndy, that did the trick!
stefanov12

Post by stefanov12 »

Thanks for the guide :) I am new in Linux Mint and this thread helped me a lot.
alyshadeshae

Post by alyshadeshae »

One note to add, you do have to be connected to the internet for this to work. I was under the mistaken impression that the driver was somehow stored on the wireless card itself and was attempting to turn it on with no connection. I had this problem a while back as well, and so didn't complete the install on my netbook. When I found this thread, I decided to go ahead and install Mint and then realized that the "fix" wasn't working.

On the plus side, it is working now. Yay! :-D Thank you.
mowglie

Post by mowglie »

thanx so much! struggled w/ this on the CL forever but eh, sometimes u just capitulate & resort to GUI. ;)
mesg7187

Post by mesg7187 »

Thanks Man it was just a matter of activating my wireless driver.
jnielsen

Post by jnielsen »

Thanx

Also Works for my Linux Mint 17 Mate on HP mini 110
with some minor differences,

1. Click on control center from the menu button.
2. Go to System, Driver Management
After some waiting about 1 min. a screen pops op where you can check a box that you want to use the bcmwl-kernel-source for Broadcom Linux STA etc....
Click the box, wait Again and click on Network connections on the taskbar to choose Wireless.
Maybe you need to be connected to the internet by Lan cable in step 1,2 but dont know...

Return to “Networking”