Anyone Using Fitness/ Sleep Wearables, with Linux?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
chris_debian

Anyone Using Fitness/ Sleep Wearables, with Linux?

Post by chris_debian »

Hi, all.

I'm intrigued by the developing 'Internet of Things'(IoT) and have recently started to look at 'wearables', specifically devices that monitor your exercise/ activity/ bio signs and sleep. I'm keen to try one of these:
- Jawbone UP
- Fitbit Flex
- Basis B1
but am not encouraged by the apparent lack of GNU/ Linux compatibility. I'd be keen to know whether any of you are using one of the following devices, or indeed any other, with Linux Mint (or A.N. OTHER distro). It seems a shame that much internet infrastructure, and many users are running Linux, and the next big game changing thing to hit the streets seems to be completely ignoring the Linux comunity.

For info, I'm currently running LM16 and using a Samsung Galaxy S2, aiming to get an S3 or probably S4 when I get a new contract in May 2014. I'd be keen to here how you and Mint are getting on with these emerging devices.

Many thanks for any advice/ discussion. Let's hope we can find a way forward.

Cheers,

Chris.
Previous1

Re: Anyone Using Fitness/ Sleep Wearables, with Linux?

Post by Previous1 »

I've heard of people using Windows in a VM just to configure their mobile devices.
chris_debian

Post by chris_debian »

Many thanks. I haven't used Windows at home since '98, so I'm reluctant to go down that route.

Thank you,

Chris.
WendyM

Post by WendyM »

I have a Magellan sports watch, which uses a browser plugin to upload to Magellan's website so it's OS-independent. I don't have any of the constant-monitoring devices but if any of them interact directly with their websites, I'd assume they would be fine.

But whenever I assume something, I have to issue a buyer beware warning as well :wink:
chris_debian

Post by chris_debian »

Hi, Wendy.

I hope you're right, I just don't want to risk spending the money, to find it doesn't work.

Cheers,

Chris.
WendyM

Post by WendyM »

Yeah, those things can certainly put a dent in your wallet. I'm sure they'd respond to any support questions though, especially if there's a sale on the line.
chris_debian

Post by chris_debian »

I wrote to Basis, the maufacturer of the B1, and they wer good enough to respond. They said:
Currently we only actively support OSX and Windows Operating Systems. We've heard varying reports with success of Linux users using workarounds of their own creation to get the B1 to work with various Linux or Unix Based operating systems, but I cannot speak to the exact steps they took. I hope this sheds some light on things.
I'll try to get a position for the other two devices, then hopefully fellow Linux users will be able to purchase hardware that they can use.

Cheers,

Chris.
chris_debian

Post by chris_debian »

And with regard to the Fitbit Flex:
We're glad to answer your inquiries about Flex.

Thank you for your suggestion about adding the option to other to the platform. We're always striving to improve Fitbit products and services, and we very much appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. The best place to make your voice heard is the Ideas board on our community (https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Help-Fo ... duct#ideas). Please take a moment to visit and give us your feedback.

If you find that a similar suggestion has already been made by another member of the community, you can vote for their idea and add your comments. Our product team looks forward to reading and incorporating your suggestions into future versions of Fitbit trackers and apps.

Regarding your inquiry about syncing with mobile device, you can check the list of supported devices https://www.fitbit.com/devices as at the moment, Galaxy S2 and Linux isn't a supported device, you can sync using a computer. However, once you set up your Flex to your account, you have the option to not syncing during 1 month and your Flex will save the information, once you're near of your computer, you'll be able to upload your information.
chris_debian

Post by chris_debian »

And this one is the response from Jawbone. Essentially you sync the device through your 'phone, so no computer connectivity required. At the moment, with support for Linux users looking scant, I think the Jawbone looks like the best bet. I hope that as 'wearables' evolve, Linux users will have a bit more choice.
Hi Chris,

This is Deborah with Jawbone Customer Care. I hope you’re having a fantastic day!

Thank you for your interest in purchasing the UP system. The UP application is currently compatible with many iOS devices, as well as a wide array of Android devices, but is not yet compatible with computers.

You can find the UP app by searching within Google Play or your Appstore for "UP by Jawbone".

We are working hard to bring UP to as many users as possible, so keep checking our compatible device list at: http://www.jawbone.com/up/devices
Cheers,

Chris.
churchnilled

Post by churchnilled »

Hi folks

I Have a Fitbit One and have successfully managed to sync it using Mint 15 Olivia Cinnamon following these instructions http://linuxaria.com/article/how-to-syn ... ux?lang=en

I ran into a couple of minor issues, first being pyusb1.0 couldnt create the folder so i did that by hand from errors messages, after i created the missing folders i installed again and we are off, then i scrolled down to the second method and installed Galileo and also ran into the same errors so i just followed the guide but take into account line numbers are likely to be different and also there are two types that need removing which i missed first of and was left scratching my head also my dongle.py differed slightly so had to make sure i left in DM.LENGTH, after removing self.DataIF.bInterfaceNumber and self.CtrlIF.bInterfaceNumber from the offending lines.

I hope this helps others, if this post has already been dealt with i offer my apologies as i did do a search but only one thread came up regarding fitbit.
I did try to upload my two file of dongle.py but saved as txt but says it not allowed, was hoping to show you the difference from orginal non working dongle'py to my amended working dongle.py

Return to “Open Chat”