Mint veterans Lets convert to LMDE ! It is a masterpiece!

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Brahim Salem

Mint veterans Lets convert to LMDE ! It is a masterpiece!

Post by Brahim Salem »

I invite all Mint veterans who have acquired enough skills from the forum to convert to LMDE 201403. You wouldn't be disappointed guys. This is a masterpiece. I'm surprised at the speed of it even without hardware acceleration with the cinnamon edition. LMDE 201403 Cinnamon is faster than the main edition xfce desktop and this is amazing :D Let's all support this edition and make it grow even better. What do you think guys? :D

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
The-Wizard

Re: Mint veterans Lets convert to LMDE ! It is a masterpiece

Post by The-Wizard »

tried the LMDE version as not having to upgrade on my laptops would be a time saver... But i just dont like it and cant get on with it.. so its ubuntu for me
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

The-Wizard wrote:tried the LMDE version as not having to upgrade on my laptops would be a time saver... But i just dont like it and cant get on with it.. so its ubuntu for me
LMDE has nothing to do with Ubuntu. It is Debian-based :shock: :shock:
Previous1

Post by Previous1 »

I think he means back to ubuntu for him.
Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Night Wing »

It just comes down to personal preference and desktop environments.

I have two desktop tower computers. Each desktop has two hard drives in it so I can run one hard drive with Windows and I can run the second hard drive with a linux distro.

Desktop computer #1, with it's two hard drives, runs Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and Linux Mint 16 XFCE 64-bit.

I wanted to try out a debian based distro so I took LMDE for a test spin via LIVE CD, but it only comes by default in the Mate and Cinnamon editions and these two environments don't appeal to me. I wanted a debian distro with an XFCE environment. I found the XFCE environment with SolydX. Took it for a spin via the LIVE CD and really liked it so I installed it in my second desktop tower computer.

Desktop computer #2, with it's two hard drives, runs Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and SolydX XFCE 64-bit.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

Previous1
no it means back to ubuntu based Mint

Zorba
I know LMDE is debian based it was the first mint I tried

I now need a large Metaxa efta or a Samos Oozo as i have bulked my main computer and it's got me a bit wound up...
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

I found the XFCE environment with SolydX.

I gave it a shot. After unsolved problems with sound/pulseaudio, an update borked the install.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Night Wing »

After the install, I never had any problems with sound with either my speakers or my headphones/microphone in SolydX.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

Well I really like LMDE w/ Cinnamon, I have it on 3 PC's but I agree it has to be what one prefers.
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

Flemur wrote:I found the XFCE environment with SolydX.

I gave it a shot. After unsolved problems with sound/pulseaudio, an update borked the install.
I tried too Solydx but It did not recognize my wifi. Moreover, it is a young distro with a small team working in it.
LMDE is safer in the long term, more mature and "solid". I prefer too Xfce but Mate is not that bad too. I wish to try Cinnamon.

One thing I can't understand is why some people says LMDE is difficult, unstable or abandoned by the Mint team. It is not true! This distro is quite simple to manage, stable, and is supported by Clem and his team.
The only moments to worry about are the update packs. For the rest, LMDE is very efficient for work.
Active Distros in my computers: LM21.1 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce)
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

Zorba wrote: Let's all support this edition and make it grow even better. What do you think guys? :D
+1
LMDE deserves to become more popular.
Active Distros in my computers: LM21.1 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce)
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

I will say that for me it will be better if the whole Mint goes to Debian and LMDE as a base distro. Ubuntu 14.04 is interesting thing but Debian is more solid and predictable if you ask me. Also the way in which Canonical develops Ubuntu is like a 2nd Microsoft in my opinion.
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

RacerBG wrote:I will say that for me it will be better if the whole Mint goes to Debian and LMDE as a base distro. Ubuntu 14.04 is interesting thing but Debian is more solid and predictable if you ask me. Also the way in which Canonical develops Ubuntu is like a 2nd Microsoft in my opinion.

LMDE is twice as fast man even without hardware acceleration :D I'm amazed and I think I should have converted a long time ago :D
Last edited by Oscar799 on Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Caps lock appreared to be stuck....
nascar64
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nascar64 »

I try LMdE before ,love it but don't like to wait 6 months for a "newer" version so to speak like to have the latest and fastest so am with linux mint petra right now and problably jump on 14.10 coming up but LMDE was great in this computer no doubt.Ray
Last edited by nascar64 on Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

nascar64 wrote:I try LMdE before ,love it but don't like to wait 6 months for a "newer" version so to speak like to have the latest and fastest so am with linux mint petra right now and problably jump on 14.10 coming up but LMDE was great in this computer no doub.Ray
Not gonna jump for Ubuntu It is their first go at touchscreens and I don't think the next release will be stable enough I guess I'm gonna wait for Linux Mint 17. When it is out i'll uninstall everything and run it exclusively. Mind you I have been hopping and test it this distro and that. Now I think i'll stay with Mint and Mint only. Besides all my customers and family like Mint dunno why maybe because of its orthodox approach to desktop or maybe because of the tweaks I add to it in terms of looks. Anyway Mint would suffice for now :D :D
maxp779
Level 1
Level 1

Post by maxp779 »

Meh... tried it, back on Mint 16 again.

- vino wouldnt work
- drives wouldnt mount on startup using the udisks --mount command and the startup utility
- software manager/synaptic couldnt install anything new, kept telling me to check my internet connection, internet was working fine though :?
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

I'm running ubuntu 14.04 development...of course it has some bugs...it's in DEVELOPMENT...but other then a few bugs it's been rock solid, stable and the fastest ubuntu i have run yet...the final release should be awesome... :D

Again...Unity is not a non-mouse friendly touchscreen device (although obviously it's designed in concept to also work well for touchscreens, tablets, smart phones, etc)...It is simply a dock...and a dock is very mouse friendly...otherwise the apple computers wouldn't have had one all these years...

I use to run LMDE and have found ubuntu development to be generally more stable then LMDE was for me...at least judging by my experience with it a few years ago and yes, it was after they added the update packs to help make it more reliable...

Also, Ubuntu's upgrading option which is available on the live installer disc (providing you only run one version of ubuntu, otherwise the installer won't offer it) has been very reliable for me and a great way to ROLL into each new ubuntu version...so, in a sense, i have a rolling release with Ubuntu anyway....

One can also upgrade using the ubuntu updater...but that can take a few hours (as opposed to about 30 minutes with the iso installer) and i think the iso installer has a more reliable upgrade...my data and most apps transfer over beautifully...i do lose a few items which are easy and quick to add back and beats doing a fresh install each time...and upgrades on ubuntu work best if you don't heavily modify your system...

I believe it's not encouraged in mint because it is heavily modified so Clem wisely advises against it on the main edition (ubuntu based) mint...too much of a chance for things to bork :roll:

So, i think i will just keep rolling with ubuntu... :wink:
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

I lioke Ubuntu too too. it was my first Linux distro but its default DE is very dull and not custmizable. i run it now in dual-boot but it is not my default DE. Moreover Mint graphism is higher than Ubuntu. So Mint all the way :D

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”