1tb Hitachi External HDD usb 2 problem

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rod77

1tb Hitachi External HDD usb 2 problem

Post by rod77 »

hi all
I have a PC Dual Core with 4Gb Ram on a P5GC-MX/1333 motherboard.
Running latest linuxmint , everything is fine, fast and super until I connect my 1TB Hitachi Touro external hard drive.

The Computer does not recognize the HDD when it is connected. All other pendrives it has no problems just external hdd 1tb and above.

I thought it was a the HDD so i connected it to another PC , the HDD worked perfectly.....

I google the problem without any clear response and one person stated that I should reinstall the BIOS.....is that right and if so how do I do it with Linux.

Help please!

thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Re: 1tb Hitachi External HDD usb 2 problem

Post by Mark Phelps »

one person stated that I should reinstall the BIOS
If I had my way -- everyone suggesting messing around with the BIOS flash should first have it done to THEIR machine!

This is, quite possibly, the most dangerous thing you can attempt with a PC, because it's one of the few things that, if it goes wrong or is done properly, will render your PC completely useless!!

You said
All other pendrives it has no problems
, but this External HDD is a DISK drive in a case, not a USB stick, right?

What filesystem is in place on the external disk? Is it Window-based (NTFS)? Or, is it Linux-based (Ext4)?

You said
so i connected it to another PC , the HDD worked perfectly.
So, what OS is the other PC using?
rod77

Re: 1tb Hitachi External HDD usb 2 problem

Post by rod77 »

Thanks for the response.

Answering your questions MArk:

"but this External HDD is a DISK drive in a case, not a USB stick, right? "

It is a 1tb Hitachi External Hard Drive exactly like this one: http://www.touropro.com/en/product/tour ... index.html.

"What filesystem is in place on the external disk? Is it Window-based (NTFS)? Or, is it Linux-based (Ext4)?"

I use it as a storage disk only , no operating system.

When I say that I tried it on another PC it was a computer with the latest Linux Mint XFCE version OS installed.

Well I hope that helps, but I continued to try other things and discovered that after reinstalling the Linux Mint os it actually recognized the hard drive and works perfectly, but only when i connected the short USB cable that comes with the drive.

If I connect the HDD through a USB hub or even a single USB extension cable the HDD is not recognized.

With my limited PC knowledge I guess the problem is the voltage going to the HDD, may be it is not enough.

I believe that the USB 3 HDD need 5v to work perfectly. maybe it is not recieving this when connected to a HUB opr long lead, some kind of resistance in the cable? not sure?

If I am correct would changing the power supply help or should I get a USB HUB with it own transformer connected or some sort of docking type station for the HDD, if they make them?

Can some give me a response, thansk

Return to “Hardware Support”