is there a newer pidgin then comes with mint 4?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
leo5111
Level 4
Level 4

is there a newer pidgin then comes with mint 4?

Post by leo5111 »

if so where and how do i install it thanx EDIT, CRAP i tried to install a newer version now when i even try to install default pidgin says could not mark all packages for instaltion Depends: pidgin-data (<1:2.2.1-z) but 1:2.4.2-1~removed1 is to be installed
Depends: libpurple0 but it is not going to be installed
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
leo5111
Level 4
Level 4

Re: is there a newer pidgin then comes with mint 4?

Post by leo5111 »

ok got old pidgin back but how do i upgrade it? thanx im on daryna version :D
leo5111
Level 4
Level 4

Post by leo5111 »

ok i tried to install a later pidgin i get this says conflicts with my pidgin 1.2.2 i uninstalled it or i thought how do i clean it out? and also when i get anything for my mint daryna 4.0 which ubuntu version to i get gutsy gibson or hardy or what? thanks :P
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

Personally, I prefer the Pidgin version in Mint 4 versus Mint 5. There is a new "feature" added by the Pidgin developers where the text box enlarges to accommodate what is being typed. I preferred to have it set a certain size instead of it being decided for me. Otherwise, I see no differences, so upgrading is not a necessity unless you just want the latest version. Just my opinion.
leo5111
Level 4
Level 4

Post by leo5111 »

well maybe you knowwhats to do, i want more smileys dont know where to get or how to install em thanx
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

Pidgin 2.4.1 in Mint 5 only comes with one set of smileys/emoticons. I remember previous versions having some blue ones. Not sure why there is only one set now. Also, if you had a blue set, only you could see them. i would still see what I had installed.

If you are talking about the number of smileys/emoticons available to use in the default set, that is dependent on which protocol you are using. AIM has something like 16, whilst Yahoo has somewhere around 80.

I still think you will be happiest with using what is standard in Mint 4. When you upgrade the total system to Mint 5, Pidgin upgrades, too. No more hassles of trying to match up certain files. Once you move to Mint 5, you will see what I was talking about. :wink:
leo5111
Level 4
Level 4

Post by leo5111 »

does the general look of mint 5 change?
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

The standard/default Pidgin install looks the same in Mint 4 and Mint 5. There is the issue with the text entry area automatically adjusting. Also, Pidgin used to have the animated keyboard to show that your IM partner was typing. It now just states "user is typing" in the message area. Slight differences that many would say are not improvements - just different.

As for the general look of Mint 5, you should probably look at the screen shots online. You also know that you can customize your desktop to your satisfaction. If you want to really see what Mint 5 does, use the Live CD and have a look around for yourself. Upgrading to Mint 5 may not be for everyone, depending on your hardware. I had no problems with Mint 4, actually. I would still be using it if Mint 5 was not available.

Return to “Software & Applications”