DVD Encoding

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Royo
Level 1
Level 1

DVD Encoding

Post by Royo »

Hi All

I am a recent convert to Linux. I still use Windows for backing up my DVD's as I am unaware of anything suitable in Linux. I use DVDRebuilder with HC Encoder, this combination gives good results with DVD's that are around 6 to 7 gig, anything smaller usually DVD Shrink (transcoder) does a good enough job.
Can someone tell me if there is a good enough alternative in Linux, if there is i can get rid of windows completely!!

Cheers

Roy
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: DVD Encoding

Post by 67GTA »

You can use DVD Shrink in Mint http://www.mrbass.org/linux/ubuntu/dvdshrink/ Search the package manager for dvd encoders/rippers. There are several available. Acidrip uses Mplayer and mencoder, so it should be good also. I have used DVDrip in the past.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
Royo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Royo »

Thanks for the reply. If I download AcidRip (via aptget i assume) do I need any other associated programs? Does acidrip provide good results with large titles?

Sorry for so many questions.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

It should pull in all the other things needed when you install it. It shouldn't matter about the size of the movie. It is basically a simple GUI interface to mplayer and mencoder(they do all the work). If it doesn't suite your needs, you can also try DVDrip, but it is a little more complicated.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

K9Copy is a great native Linux DVD ripper.
pete284

Post by pete284 »

I've tried many ways tip in Mint and by far the best way I found was:

Install Wine and then install DVDShrink and DVDFabDecrypter

I had a few disks either completely fail with K9 or subtitles missing (not very good with foreign language films!)

With shrink burn to an .iso and then burn with k3b
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

I had forgotten about DVDFab. I used to use it a lot with XP. I'm glad to know it runs with wine. The newest version of wine seems to be a lot better. I need to go back and try some of the older apps I haven't tried in a while to see if they will run now.
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

I was having major issues with DVD Shrink with Wine RC1, but now with Wine RC3 it seems to have resolved itself.
leo5111
Level 4
Level 4

Post by leo5111 »

i have dvd shrink working with wine sees my dvds in drive etc :P

Return to “Software & Applications”